OSNN Jabber conference room!

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
Re: Jabber

More Jabber users! \o/
We should have an OSNN room on conference.jabber.org :)

Update: We have a conference room now. osnn@conference.jabber.org. Grab a client and join! :D
Windows users: I recommend Pandion (what I use) or Exodus

Mini-Tutorial:
(I would have put up more details/screenshots, but I have finals coming up. Besides, it's quite straightforward to set up)

1. Download and install a Jabber client. I'll use Pandion for this mini-tutorial, since it's probably one of the easiest clients to use, and what I've been using for the past few months.

2. When you first run Pandion, you'll be asked to sign in. You need a Jabber ID first, so use the register button. You can register for one on any of the Jabber servers out there. Unless you're using Trillian, I'd suggest jabber.org since it seems to be quite a reliable server.

3. Sign in with your new Jabber ID. To add your friends to your contact list, click Actions>Add a Contact. Select the second option and type in your friend's Jabber ID in the username box (mine is kunalk@jabber.org)

4. To join the OSNN conference room, click Actions>Join a Conference Room. If you have a jabber.org account (like I suggested earlier), just type OSNN into the Filter box, and the room should show up. Click to join it.

5. Jabber away. :D

Both. Regular 1-to-1 instant messaging, and conference rooms with lots of people (like IRC channels)

And if the server supports it (I think jabber.org does), the conference rooms can do automatic logging/history, which means that if people join a room, they can even see what was going on before they entered. It's pretty slick. :)

Ok, Lord and I just tested out the conference feature on the jabber.org server. :)
As I had expected, it does support the history feature. We both joined the conference room, then he left, and I typed a few messages while he was gone. When he rejoined the room, he could see what I had typed. :D

Yeah and wow! not kid friendly either!! Even henyman would faint! :p

Very Cool. Just joined after getting a message from you Kunal, could see what you and Mark were talking about earlier :D

Will try talk to you later with an idea I've got :)

Tried it, but it won't connect :(

SPeedY_B said:
Very Cool. Just joined after getting a message from you Kunal, could see what you and Mark were talking about earlier :D

Will try talk to you later with an idea I've got :)
Yeah, it's pretty sweet, isn't it? :)

Khayman said:
Tried it, but it won't connect :(
Did you register for an account first? Which server did you register with? What client are you using? Did you enable SSL (some servers need it)?

Zedric said:
This seems not entirely stable so to speak. :D
I think it was more of a Trillian problem. Works fine with Pandion, doesn't it? :)

fine here... i didnt realise Trillian done Jabber... or is it an additional plugin?

~bk said:
Very nice. Will join it soon. :D
Awesome :D
thekore said:
fine here... i didnt realise Trillian done Jabber... or is it an additional plugin?
I think it's a plugin only for Trillian Pro. I could be wrong though.

NetRyder said:
I think it was more of a Trillian problem. Works fine with Pandion, doesn't it? :)
I was referring to Trillian acctually. ;) But yeah sort of. I switched server (jabber.org won't work in Trillian, they did something). Now it's running just fine. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back