OS X Intel patched

LordOfLA

Godlike!
Seems I was a little slow on the uptake on this one but the torrent mentioned at http://www.osx86project.org/ I have and am about to transfer it home to play with on my athlon64 :)

Shall post screenies as soona s I have them :)

curious parties can pm me ;)

Yeah, just read about this earlier today. Should run heck of a lot better under VMware than it did under PearPC, I would imagine.

Doesn't look like I'm going to able to give it a shot anytime soon. My laptop is currently a dedicated Vista Beta 1 testing system, and the old desktop at home won't be able to run this at bearable speeds. Only other option is my machine at work (3.8GHz P4, 2GB RAM), but I don't think they'd appreciate me spending my time installing OS X instead of getting work done, especially since this is crunch-week and there's loads of bug-fixing to do. :D

Keep us posted.

Okay this is about as far as Ic an get on my work PC until I can regain local-admin status on my pc, a screenshot of the bzip tarball contents. I must admit to being at a loss with what to do wit what but if I wanted it easy I'd go buy a mac or something :D

Edit: Figured the files to worry about are the floppy image, the disk image and the .vmdk which needs the value 9825 changing to 16363 by all accounts... Shall keep folks posted.

Screenshot of tiger-x86.tar.bz2

Last edited:
No, I dont have the devKit iso - the torrent I have is the end result of that vmware howto.

I could always get ahold of pearpc and hunt the devkit iso....

LordOfLA said:
the torrent I have is the end result of that vmware howto.
Oh, I figured you'd have to go through all those steps. That didn't look like fun. :D
Know anyone who has it running successfully yet?

not personally but you could always browse the forums at the link earlier...

Update folks:

Mac OS X running in VMWare 5 on Xp SP2, Athlon 64 3500+ (SSE2 edition)

Its a bit stuttery, but I think thats more down to the fact the cpu lacks SSE3 support and I've read about issues on cpus without it (SSE3 boxes are smooth as butter by all ccounts)

I'm limited to 1024x768 and no souond - not sure if that a vmware thing or not.

I'll play more on monday night and keep you posted. Fire questions at me as you desire but bear in mind I'm no mac expert :)

Very interesting LoLA. Have you used OS X before? What's your goal behind doing this anyway... just for fun?

Meh. People have been running it on VMWare for a few days now. Some have even managed to get it running purely on (specific) x86 hardware.

I know speedy :p As I said in my first post - I seem to have been slow on the uptake :p

LordOfLA said:
Its a bit stuttery, but I think thats more down to the fact the cpu lacks SSE3 support and I've read about issues on cpus without it (SSE3 boxes are smooth as butter by all ccounts)

I'm limited to 1024x768 and no souond - not sure if that a vmware thing or not.
I read that the "hack" removed SSE3 as an issue I thought? ..

By what I've read thats the deal on both. Oh wait .. was no net connection not sound I think ... hrm ...

If the bulk of the OS uses sse3 features, your non SSE3 cpu is going to be slower as a result.

Havign said that it may juset have been my machien being short on ram, I had a lot running at the time :)

I get no sound or lan either. I had thought of attempting to dump it over to a real disk partition and trying to make it boot too.

LordOfLA said:
Havign said that it may juset have been my machien being short on ram, I had a lot running at the time :)

I get no sound or lan either. I had thought of attempting to dump it over to a real disk partition and trying to make it boot too.
Indeed, OS X loves RAM if you have it, seemed to run well for SPeedY by looking at his video. :)

I read of people still trying to figure out the boot part, so may not be to much longer. Also I've not read of the sound issue, but that may come down to your sound card.

Most macs have built-in audio, or m-audio/similar cards. You could always try looking up Audigy drivers.

Just for reference, to get it to boot natively on x86, the only way (at the moment) is to have a Mac, as-well as your x86 machine.

LordOfLA said:
I didnt think an Audigy 2 ZS was too advanced for a mac os....
It's not a question of advanced, it's a question of drivers. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back