Old SP2 Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
SP2 support, well I might aswell mention a problem I had with the new m$ intel drivers for pointer optical version 5.2 I posted the other day via neowin, well I did a slipstream of sp2 with win xp pro and they totally left hardware devices when upgrading. Took a few hours to work out how to get rid and reinstall em, as I got a corrupt windows installer error also, which infact I feel was to do with the inteli driver software as I uninstalled other items as a test and no such error. I suggest unless you do a clean install and reinstall a slip stream xpsp2 or infact just do a slipstream upgrade, is to send the drivers back to the 2001 version.

Yes as was too be expected the SP2 is going to cause some troubles, as I have said I am sure they will find a way around them, its just a question of learning how to make things in a more secure manner, it shows here that its not only Microsoft but others that are not able to code their products in a way that is secure.

Dennis T said:
Have found the solution to this on AMD Forums.....

The problem that I have identified is that the BIOS does not understand a feature needed by winXP64 and more imprtantly it is also used in XP SP2 now as well (windows will fail to boot if you install it)

The missing feature is Physical Address Extension. When XP64 or SP2 tries to enable this feature the BIOS crashes or locks up. This feature is needed to enable the No Execute Feature on the CPU.

To use SP2 as it stands you need to install SP2 and then when the system re-boots goto safe mode & disable the no-execute feature (on by default when an A64 is detected)

There is currently no fix (that I know of) for installing XP64.

I did however email Medion (The 7039 is based on the WAD 2000 mobo by Medion) and ask if there will be an updated bios for this lappy & am currently awaiting a reply.

There is an updated bios available from Medion (the 7039 uses their WAD 2000 mobo....

Will post when I have installed it :)

My Laptop (Advent 7039 - AMD 3000+ 64Bit) has now accepted SP2 after the bios update.... Amazing that the company have not posted a bios update on their site :)

THIS IS FOR CHASTITY: FIX FOR THE C5500

I don't know if you have found a solution to the problem but I have. Here is what to do:

-open control panel
-performance and main't
-Admin tools
-services
-right click MPService and click start.

random shutdown problem in SP2

Im having issues with my sp2.
I slipstreamed... clean format/install.

loaded all my software.

now the computer shuts off randomly, almost like a power surge.
I have a friend who is experiencing the same thing.

My temperatures are ok, I am running:
Pentium 4 3.2Ghz P4C800 Deluxe, 1 GB ram, ATI 9600XT

She is running a compaq POS.

I am a little confused with the error, so I looked in the event logs, and noticed an error code, 4609, and 10005 labeled as DCOM, and something else... I followed up on the errors with M$, and it says in their knowledge base that the problem is a known issue with all M$ products.

It's wierd how this happens all of a sudden.

Any suggestions / experiencing similar issues?

thanks
:confused:

MRB068 said:
THIS IS FOR CHASTITY: FIX FOR THE C5500

I don't know if you have found a solution to the problem but I have. Here is what to do:

-open control panel
-performance and main't
-Admin tools
-services
-right click MPService and click start.

As I said thanks and it does work however I do have a question though how did you get work on start up?

ive installed sp2, and i dont want to use the windows firewall or any other firewall for that matter (i have a network firewall). Every time i boot that message keeps coming up effectively saying "YOU DONT HAVE A FIREWALL RUNNING". How can i make this message go away?

I have closed this thread so that seperate issues can be posted making it easier for users to find the help they need. If you still have an unresolved issue in this thread. Please repost it.

Thanks.

we're gonna open a seperate catagory for sp2 support so members can have their own thread for their respective issues

see everyone there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest forum posts

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back