OK I need opinions and poll mebe

Monitoring temperatures...

• ... luxury not necessity (BIOS shutdown OK)

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • ... Necessary all time period

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • ... run if unstable

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • ... use on configuration change (new device etc)

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
Since getting stable rig - stopped running temperature s/w by default (MBM or Probe) and not bothered with alarm for higher end temps.

Before the summer comes thought I'd see what risk I may be running...

Temp monitors are usually used for assessing the risk of overheating particular components (especially if you upgrade very often).
Once you have established a cooling solution for these heat problems, there isn't a need for constant temp monitoring really.

I run one all the time but not becuase I have to, but becuase I like to. Its more of a personal preference. Motherboard Monitor 5 what I use. What you might do is just check your temps in BIOS and if they are high and run risk of overheating in the summer then install one, otherwise don't worry about it, unless you are like me and want to install one.

Only run temp monitors when I find problems or overclock... and I also occasional check, just to make sure. :p

i ocasionally have a look @ temps using mbm5, but outher than that i dont worry :D

If you're over clocking then yes it is something you need. I would still run one anyway just in case a fan dies and burns up your cpu.

cool advice

as a result I have fired up MBM (already used in past) and hidden it completely and adapted my RainMeter to show it neatly over the CPU histogram.... so I am sorted and always know how :cool: I am now!

frankly speaking... if you have tested your system and see what it runs @ on load and on idle... if the numbers are not ridiculously high there is no need to incur extra cpu overhead (regardless of how small) by running such an app in the background...

Sazar said:
frankly speaking... if you have tested your system and see what it runs @ on load and on idle... if the numbers are not ridiculously high there is no need to incur extra cpu overhead (regardless of how small) by running such an app in the background...
You're right - I just like the warm feeling it gives me - but when I need the speed I'll drop Rainmeter and try to remember to cancel out MBM too, meanwhile I keep myself informed. Machines these days can take this kind of thing almost as part of OS level activity IMHO.

But yes - you are right, I think.

Just check your temps manually when you do your weekly defrag/spyware check/etc

The temps WILL start going up as dust collects on the fans and fins. Especially bad in winter due to low humidity from fored air heating.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back