nVidia gf fx 9900 of radeon 9800 pro

Originally posted by InSaN|tY
Which one should I buy ??

which one do you want to buy ?

a nvidia gf FX 5900ultra or radeon 9800pro...

no gf FX is called the 9900.. a couple of retaillers package it up and call it something like that... asus for example... calls it the 9900...

what are you looking to do with the card ?

1-1 I would recommend the 9800pro... but perhaps there is something in particular you are looking to achieve using the gf FX ?

I personally would go with the 9800pro though its marginally slower than the FX 5900 ultra. You have to ask yourself if you want to give up that one slot for the performance...

Originally posted by black-syth
I personally would go with the 9800pro though its marginally slower than the FX 5900 ultra. You have to ask yourself if you want to give up that one slot for the performance...

there is no need to give up a slot for the 5900ultra... there are single slot solutions out there and a couple of them are very quiet as well...

as for performance... I think looking @ the benchmarks on the whole... the 9800pro actually has the edge :) especially in dx9 level tests where the ps/vs are being tested :)

in todays games they are both about on par... in future games... the r3xx core appears at the moment to continue to hold onto the lead in shader speed...

nvidia's nv40 may change this... but that will remain to be seen... the broken hardware from the nv30 should be fixed better in the next FX iteration...

You have to ask yourself if you want to give up that one slot for the performance...
if a video card takes up 2 slots, it wouldn't affect my decision whatsoever. with any medium or high-end card, you shouldn't have a pci card installed right in front of it anyway. generally, pci cards should be used from the bottom up, leaving as much open area as possible for the video card to keep cool.

actually, i would look for a 2-slot card because it will likely have a more effective cooling solution. i wish more manufacturers would take up this design.

Originally posted by taurus
if a video card takes up 2 slots, it wouldn't affect my decision whatsoever. with any medium or high-end card, you shouldn't have a pci card installed right in front of it anyway. generally, pci cards should be used from the bottom up, leaving as much open area as possible for the video card to keep cool.

actually, i would look for a 2-slot card because it will likely have a more effective cooling solution. i wish more manufacturers would take up this design.

2 slots is not required taurus... the fact that some companies are willing to put thought into designing a nice and efficient QUIET single slot cooler is to be commended...

if the video card is designed properly as well.. it should not require a behemoth of a cooler to keep it cool... an active cooler I should say...

personally I have no qualms about a huge passive cooler... since it is SILENT... but I do take offense to the fact some companies are still pushing dual slot cooling solutions... if it is REQUIREd.. sure... go ahead... but if it is not required and is taking the easy way out.. hell no... these cards cost around 350 and up... I am sure for that money the least that can be asked for is a cooling solution that does not inconvenience me...

i look at it more like this..

if you have more room for a bigger heatsink, go for it. that would allow a quiter fan. it's the same philosophy i use for cpu's; get the best heatsink you can and throw a quiet fan on it.

2 slots doesn't automatically mean loud... probably more the contrary..

you can't say that having a 2-slot card means the fan's going to be loud... because single-slot cards have loud fans, too. and you can't honestly use the 5800ultra in your defense because we all know that was a stressed card on it's edge anyway.

Originally posted by taurus
i look at it more like this..

if you have more room for a bigger heatsink, go for it. that would allow a quiter fan. it's the same philosophy i use for cpu's; get the best heatsink you can and throw a quiet fan on it.

2 slots doesn't automatically mean loud... probably more the contrary..

you can't say that having a 2-slot card means the fan's going to be loud... because single-slot cards have loud fans, too. and you can't honestly use the 5800ultra in your defense because we all know that was a stressed card on it's edge anyway.

true.. 2 slot coolers are not always loud :)

but the quietest and coolest solutions for the nv35 @ the moment are single slot solutions... go figure :)

a little innovation goes a long way..

I think your missing the point Taurus:) . What I think Sazar is saying is.
1)its my motherboard.
2)Im shelling out about $399
3)Why should I the consumer have to give up my slot
for your card?
Let me be the one who makes the decision after I have the card to apply a bigger cooling solution. I do not want you to do that for me.
I also see your point of not putting a card next to the video card. True in that comment and I agree but, I do not want the card manufacturer making that choice for me.
In my opinion Nvidia is rushing these days and it shows.

I dunno...

Sazar: From what i've seen the NV35 is ahead, can i have a link please? -puppy face-

Taurus: I dunno.. i have all of my Slots taken up... :( so its something i look at...

I dunno...

Sazar: From what i've seen the NV35 is ahead, can i have a link please? -puppy face-

Taurus: I dunno.. i have all of my Slots taken up... :( so its something i look at...

this is the latest review... trying to bypass the cheats used in benchmarks..

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=3x5900u&page=1

fyi this link I got from the frontpage of an nvidia fansite...

www.nvnews.net

read it carefully since it does have details about the different types of nv35's out there...

the card is not bad... but the implementation of the technology is iffy...

btw.. if you go to www.beyond3d.com you will see some nice information put together by dave baumann concerning certain optimizations in benchmarks...

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6719&highlight=

again read ALL the detailed information put forth

WARNING... the images on that site may take a while to load...

enjoy...

p.s. I am a poster @ both of these sites :)

Go to futuremark web site they have user posted results from many systems using the madonion benchmarks. I thought the FX 5900 was faster too until I looked at the posted results from many people and saw:

Benchmarks run with the update (cheat free) madonion gave the edge to the Radeon.

Benchmarks run on slower systems showed the Radeon faster especially for dx9 tests. That means nvidia is off loading DX9 tasks to the system cpu.

One cuold ask the question why do we need to know what card is better then the other if one what was supposely one of the respected benmarking programs can be cheated by folks using both brands of cards being discussed here. As to which card one should get read the reviews and specs and any other important info and make your choice based on that instead of benchmarks that may or may not be flawed

Originally posted by Chastity
One cuold ask the question why do we need to know what card is better then the other if one what was supposely one of the respected benmarking programs can be cheated by folks using both brands of cards being discussed here. As to which card one should get read the reviews and specs and any other important info and make your choice based on that instead of benchmarks that may or may not be flawed

how do you make a decision other than using benchmarks as a guide?

naturally there are flaws in the current benchmarking process that is why many reviewers are using custom demo's and what not in order to give a more accurate idea of what gaming is like on these boards... using custom demos prevents the IHV's from having as much influence over the final score as they did before...

you can decide really what to buy without having a guage to judge it by... and that is where we come in :) to try and filter out the crud from the more respectable benches...

btw... what would be your recommendation on which card to get ?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back