No boot with certain Monitor.

Ignition

OSNN Junior Addict
hello, i have quite a confusing problem here...My graphicscard an MSI GeForce 6800 GT PCI-Express refuses to boot up with a 21" Compaq P1100 monitor :cry: but works just fine with the Belinea 19" im using right now. When i use the 21" the graphicscard fan and powerled switches off, and the monitor gets no signal.. Any idea what's causing this?

What type of connection are you using (VGA or DVI)? Also perhaps double check the pins and make sure the connection is ok. Other then that perhaps removing your monitor drivers, shutdown, boot up w/ other monitor and see if that works?

Xie said:
What type of connection are you using (VGA or DVI)? Also perhaps double check the pins and make sure the connection is ok. Other then that perhaps removing your monitor drivers, shutdown, boot up w/ other monitor and see if that works?
I'm using the VGA adapter onto the DVI port to connect both screens. The monitor and monitor cable should be ok, as it worked on my other computer. Since this monitor works I see no reason why it would be anything with the graphicscard or any of it's connections.

The only difference i see is that my P1100 is using a port to connect the VGA cable to, while the other one's goes straight into the monitor..

try using the VGA connection instead of the DVI port. If that doesnt work, even though I doubt it would be this; check to make sure your resolution isnt maxed out. That could cause a similar, but highly doubtful, situation.

Good luck and keep us posted.

If you're talking about the Post screen on boot up, I don't see anything when using the DVI connection, but I do get stuff show up when using the VGA connection.

Not sure why that is, but I'm not too fussed about that.

No I mean a display of ANY type... while you are in your OS, turn down the resolution and try the DVI port again... It should be able to handle it Im not sure why it wouldnt. Does the video cable you are using have filters on it? Many of the older ones do not, and the DVI will not work without them, I forgot about this, and when I got my LCD display last year I tried to use my old cable in the same fashion you did, it didnt work, but it did when I used the one provided with the monitor. Or pay the $6-10 at a radioshack and get a DVI video cable in the first place.

Lastly, if you are plugged into your VGA port on the vid board and you hook into the DVI port on the monitor I have seen this work, and NOT work, I think it depends on the manufacturer of the monitor.

If you found this post helpful please use the reputation Icon, thanks!

Hi again, and thx for all the answers. :)

Does the video cable you are using have filters on it? Many of the older ones do not, and the DVI will not work without them, I forgot about this, and when I got my LCD display last year I tried to use my old cable in the same fashion you did, it didnt work, but it did when I used the one provided with the monitor. Or pay the $6-10 at a radioshack and get a DVI video cable in the first place.

I don't know, the cable for the monitor is like 1 year old, I might try to get a new cable anyway though. Are there any cords with dvi to vga??? (My monitor only have a vga port)

If you're talking about the Post screen on boot up, I don't see anything when using the DVI connection, but I do get stuff show up when using the VGA connection.
Yeah, that's my problem. My videocard only has 2 dvi ports, no vga. They provided an adapter with the card though..there shoulnt be any problem with the adapter since it works with the 19" monitor.

Simply use a DVI cable then and you should have no problems at all... good luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back