Nintendo Revolution news

So are you going to have to pay to play the old classics?

I'm hoping they do a subscription based service. There is only one way I could see paying for the old games individually... and not much $$ at that. Maybe $5.00 each tops. I could justify this if for example, I could pull up contra 2 player with the second player being a friend of mine in washington. Add a live style head seat for talking though the level... and I would be in heaven.

Want to play some street fighter classic? Get your friend online.

My biggest question is about one of the best (my opinion) games of the origonal NES... How are they going to handle Duck Hunt?

Nintendo announced today (thursday) that they will spill the beans about everything from the final look of the Revolution, to the controllers, ect by the end of the year. I guess by then the 360 will be final and perhaps on shelfs and the PS3 won't be far behind so Nintendo has nothing to fear. :)

Xie said:
Nintendo announced today (thursday) that they will spill the beans about everything from the final look of the Revolution, to the controllers, ect by the end of the year. I guess by then the 360 will be final and perhaps on shelfs and the PS3 won't be far behind so Nintendo has nothing to fear. :)

Should be pretty interesting to see. Maybe it has something to do with their controller as they haven't unveiled the Revolution one then.

Grandmaster said:
Should be pretty interesting to see. Maybe it has something to do with their controller as they haven't unveiled the Revolution one then.
Yeah the controller seems to be one of the most gaurded secrets for the Revolution. I can't wait to see what they have dreamed up this time around as they only seem to get better. :) In the end I think the Revolution should have alot of "awwwww" factor even without being a media center.

*edit* - It's also nice to see that Nintendo has taken note that it's not about the graphics this round (though ALOT of people seem to be graphics whores) and instead about games and gameplay (I know who would have thunk it in a GAME console). :p

A lot of the small-to-mid size game developers are downright horrified about this upcoming generation. The kind of demands that XBox 360 and PS3 are going to demand from them are going to put some of them out of business. After all, this generation put Hudson Soft into being sold and merged, and shoved Acclaim into Chapter 7 bankruptcy (dissolution of assets). The fact that Nintendo Revolution will likely be the least demanding console of the three may mean that they might end up with the most games this time around. Maybe.

Melon

melon said:
A lot of the small-to-mid size game developers are downright horrified about this upcoming generation. The kind of demands that XBox 360 and PS3 are going to demand from them are going to put some of them out of business. After all, this generation put Hudson Soft into being sold and merged, and shoved Acclaim into Chapter 7 bankruptcy (dissolution of assets). The fact that Nintendo Revolution will likely be the least demanding console of the three may mean that they might end up with the most games this time around. Maybe.
Yeah, as they havn't just thrown top hardware together for the sake of numbers. They took notice that game graphics can only get so good with current hardware, so instead have focused on making a better gaming experience.

Also not using complex hardware just for the sake of numbers should make the Revolution easier to write games for it.

melon said:

Melon

That is a good point. I think the PS3 will be the hardest to develop for considering the PS2 was the most difficult one this generation. A lot of developers believe the Xbox was the easiest to develop for this generation, and MS has the whole XNA platform now that is supposed to make development even easier this time.

I think the fact that Microsoft is a software company primarily, and the fact that Sony is a hardware company primarily shows, it even showed from the E3 press conferences each had...Microsoft almost completely focused on software, and Sony almost completely focused on hardware and numbers. Hence, in theory, the 360 should not be too hard to develop for, even though the complexity required will be greater.

I can't wait until I can afford video games again. I already have 3 GameCube games I've wanted to buy, and all this talk about the next-gen makes me a little stir crazy. :p

Melon

lets hope this one actually gets off the ground. I'd hate to see Nintendo go out of business for 2 failed consoles and a handheld that hasn't dominated after all these years.

7_QuI-g0Nn? said:
lets hope this one actually gets off the ground. I'd hate to see Nintendo go out of business for 2 failed consoles and a handheld that hasn't dominated after all these years.
Off the ground? It's expected to come out around the same time as the PS3. And what are these 2 failed consoles you speak of? Nintendo was the first to turn a profit on the Gamecube. I think Sony has recently but only from games, not hardware. I think since Nintendo isn't jumping on the useless stats bandwagon this time around either they will be first to turn a profit this time around as well. I don't think Sony and MS will be turning a profit for years on this up coming generation.

I guess it all depends on what you consider "winning". Some consider it making $ on your product, some consider it marketshare while loosing $. ;)

The N64 was a massive failure (be honest, aside from Goldeneye and Zelda if you like it... the 64 was complete arse :p), and the gamecube was an apparent failure, only in the factor of units sold and popularity, with regards to business and profits, it may of been just as well off as others on the market, however most people unfortunately just base success on popularity.

SPeedY_B said:
The N64 was a massive failure (be honest, aside from Goldeneye and Zelda if you like it... the 64 was complete arse :p), and the gamecube was an apparent failure, only in the factor of units sold and popularity, with regards to business and profits, it may of been just as well off as others on the market, however most people unfortunately just base success on popularity.
Yeah I can't really comment on N64 as I believed my Genesis/PS pwnd it. :) It wasn't till near the end of the N64 that I bought one just for Zelda. I also got rid of it shortly after. I've always been more of a Sega fan, though I still find the NES one of the best consoles of all time. :p

revad-thumb.jpg

Source: Kotaku

Interesting. Thought I'd share. :)

Ah you beat me to it.

But here's a better quality version of that ad:

Nintendo_Revolution_ad.jpg

In case you wanted to see it. ;)

Melon

SPeedY_B said:

I really hated N64. The only game I liked was Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and I got a GC version of it when I preordered Zelda: Wind Waker. So, really, I don't feel bad for never buying it.

Melon

melon said:
I really hated N64. The only game I liked was Zelda: Ocarina of Time, ...
I'll see your Zelda and raise you GoldenEye. :D

Xie said:
I'll see your Zelda and raise you GoldenEye. :D

You know, I played it, but was never that impressed personally. The first FPS I ever liked was "Metroid Prime." Now that game, plus "Metroid Prime 2: Echoes," has made me very glad I own a Gamecube. ;)

Melon

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back