[News] Apple Explores Use of Intel Chips

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political Access
:eek:

NEW YORK (AP) -- In what would be a major shift in the computer world, Apple reportedly is talking with Intel about using its chips in its Macintosh line.

The Wall Street Journal reported that the computer maker has been meeting with Intel, the world's largest chipmaker. The newspaper cited two industry executives with knowledge of recent discussions between the companies as saying that Apple will agree to use Intel chips.

Neither company would discuss the report, which Apple calls speculation.

According to the Journal, it is unclear what a deal would mean to Apple's relationship with IBM. Big Blue is the major chip supplier for Macintosh computers.

The report said talks between Apple and Intel could fail, as they have before, or Apple could be engaging in negotiations with Intel to gain leverage over IBM.

I actually heard about this from two people at WinHEC last month. Apparently, there are Intel machines running OS X in Santa Clara already. Not sure where it's heading though. :)

Porting the OS itself is not a huge problem. The real challenge is getting all those third-party applications ported over as well...and that will need to happen fast. An OS without solid third-party software support is as good as dead.

Apple uses Intel chips in a few of it's machines, there's an Intel controller chip on a few of the ethernet devices for example. iPods run on ARM processors, and AirPort Base stations run on AMD chips... just because Apple is in talks with Intel regarding chips, it doesn't mean CPU's, and if it does, it doesn't mean for Macs.

Take a look at where IBM are right now with their PowerPC offerings, it would be a pretty silly move to migrate away from them. With that said, Apple seem to have a good track record of completely switching architectures and making everything work.

Also just to stamp on any suggestions that this would mean OS X on standard x86 hardware, it wouldn't. Were this to go ahead and Apple to suddenly drop IBM in favour of Intel x64 chips, they would be custom chips which would simply remove any compatibility with normal off-the-shelf hardware.

All in all, it's another rumour (even though this one seems to have spread all over the place pretty-bloody-quick) and nothing will be confirmed until there's a press release and/or absolute solid evidence of anything.

I think The Register have made a pretty good analysis of the situation here : http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/05/23/apple_intel/

Apparently this has been rumored many times in the past, but it's actually making headlines this time.

Well the rumor is been around off and on for a few years but this seems to be a bit more then a rumor given the fact its more mainstream media sites.

Actually at one point in time I heard Apple already had an x86 version of their OS but it was pretty only used for interal testing I guess. Apple's Darwin project

chastity said:
Well the rumor is been around off and on for a few years but this seems to be a bit more then a rumor given the fact its more mainstream media sites.

Actually at one point in time I heard Apple already had an x86 version of their OS but it was pretty only used for interal testing I guess. Apple's Darwin project
Darwin is the BSD backend of the OS and is actively ported to the x86 platform.

SPeedY_B said:
Also just to stamp on any suggestions that this would mean OS X on standard x86 hardware, it wouldn't. Were this to go ahead and Apple to suddenly drop IBM in favour of Intel x64 chips, they would be custom chips which would simply remove any compatibility with normal off-the-shelf hardware.
I don't see why (I know it's just crazy rumors right now) they would go with Intel x64 chips when AMD is the clear winner right now in the x64 market. Why would you drop something that works to switch to the lesser of another architecture?

Xie said:
I don't see why (I know it's just crazy rumors right now) they would go with Intel x64 chips when AMD is the clear winner right now in the x64 market. Why would you drop something that works to switch to the lesser of another architecture?
For exactly the same reasons that Dell have stuck with Intel when everyone knows that AMD are blatantly and by-far the better of the two. It comes down to cost basically.

NetRyder said:
I actually heard about this from two people at WinHEC last month. Apparently, there are Intel machines running OS X in Santa Clara already. Not sure where it's heading though. :)

Porting the OS itself is not a huge problem. The real challenge is getting all those third-party applications ported over as well...and that will need to happen fast. An OS without solid third-party software support is as good as dead.

Porting the other applications should not be a problem either, they already use their own format for storing the application, which is neither ELF nor A.OUT. Only problem i see is if the CPU is big endian or little endian.

Intel can undercut AMD, as Intel has a ****load of money :p.

Was looking at stock prices, they shot up at this news. If only I had the money to buy some Apple shares.

SPeedY_B said:
Darwin is the BSD backend of the OS and is actively ported to the x86 platform.
indeed portions of the code developed for Darwin is merged into the other BSD products. In 5.3 I believe the Darwin msdosfs code was merged into FreeBSD to provide better FAT filesystem performance and usage

X-Istence said:
Intel can undercut AMD, as Intel has a ****load of money :p.

Was looking at stock prices, they shot up at this news. If only I had the money to buy some Apple shares.
I would hope Apple would aim for quality and not "cheaper". You often get what you pay for. ;)

Xie said:
I would hope Apple would aim for quality and not "cheaper". You often get what you pay for. ;)
That certainly wouldn't mean a deal with Intel then. However business is business, and often the cheaper supplier victors over the better product. (which again, is why Dell use Intel)

By this point you’re probably getting immune to/annoyed by all the endless Apple tablet rumors, but if you can handle one more round of unverifiable speculation, Rob Bushway relays a report from a source who claims to have actually played with a prototype. His source says that the Apple tablet prototype he handled had instant on, a touch screen, and was running on a stripped down version of OS X. We’re not even going to pretend that any of this is even close to confirmed, but Rob’s source also says that the report from yesterday about Apple meeting with Intel was (at least in part) about them getting some sort of customized version of Intel’s power-saving Sonoma chipset for use in a new Apple tablet.

Ooh :p

ok a Apple Tablet strikes me as a bit of odd idea since the ones that run windows have not really taken off etc and that Apple is following the rest of the PC world which they are not generally from what I've seen known to do

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back