Pentium4 2.8ghz socket 478 - $268
Crucial 512mb 3200 - $90
Enermax cs-58661-pw 350w PS - $54
Samgsung 950df 19" crt - $190
Biostar geforce4 mx440SE - $58
Western digital 20 gb - Already have
Maxtor 120gb - alreays have
TOTAL - $796

I already have all the parts that are not listed including cd-burner, keyboard etc.

Any suggestions?

BTW. all parts will be ordered from newegg.com

Looks great! The ASUS board will be rock solid...looks like you're gonna have a screamer!

if u want to spend a little mroe i would go with 1gb ram, with that board and chip it will be the best of the best

I'm building this computer for a friend and I would considering getting two sticks of 512mb ram, in order to enable the dual channel. So i'll look into it.

Originally posted by TKC
Heres ther list and prices:
Asus p4p800 800 mhz fsb - $136
Pentium4 2.8ghz socket 478 - $268
Crucial 512mb 3200 - $90
Enermax cs-58661-pw 350w PS - $54
Samgsung 950b 19" crt - $190
Biostar geforce4 mx440SE - $58
Western digital 20 gb - Already have
Maxtor 120gb - alreays have
TOTAL - $796

I already have all the parts that are not listed including cd-burner, keyboard etc.

Any suggestions?

BTW. all parts will be ordered from newegg.com

overall not bad.. but the video card is quite weak...

the mx series should be avoided like the plague in a system like that...

Thats the only way I could keep the total below $800, its up to the owner what videocard he will be getting in the future.

Deja Vu. I seem to remember saying this recently but wth.

If the customer is not married to Intel PC's consider an AMD Barton 2500 based system NF2 MB (ASUS of course). Then with the $160 you save on the processor chip you can afford to put in a real video card (9500 Pro or 9600 Pro).

That was my first choice, but the owner wasnt convinced. So now he's stuck wit ha crappy vid card.

Originally posted by TKC
That was my first choice, but the owner wasnt convinced. So now he's stuck wit ha crappy vid card.

the best way for someone to see the folly of his/her ways is to compare their supposedly uber l33t rig with a lesser system and watch the lesser system look fabulous when it comes to gaming :D

/me knows from experience...

on the other hand... the p4 C's are quite good... I am extremely impressed by them and am seriously considering buying a canterwood based system when ati comes out with a canterwood based mobo :)

P4 heatsink

I have no idea what the heat sink looks like for the processor, can anyone post a pic or give me a link on any installation tips.

Originally posted by Sazar
the best way for someone to see the folly of his/her ways is to compare their supposedly uber l33t rig with a lesser system and watch the lesser system look fabulous when it comes to gaming :D

/me knows from experience...

on the other hand... the p4 C's are quite good... I am extremely impressed by them and am seriously considering buying a canterwood based system when ati comes out with a canterwood based mobo :)

so sad.... so sad..... sazar is going to the over priced dark side..... no sazar nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!:eek:

may be over priced but i have been able to play with an intel 2.4ghz 800mhz fsb system with a gb of ddr 400 annd an ati 9800 and a sata 100gb hdd , that system rocks better than anything i have seen from amd in my life. and i have been with amd forever, it is a sweet system

I'll be getting more ram and two SATA hard dirves in the future, maybe early next year.
When I build my own system it has to be an amd based mobo, but that wont be until next year. I just really wanted to get the hands on experience of putting together a complete system. The only doubt I have is the putting in the processor.

Originally posted by Krux
so sad.... so sad..... sazar is going to the over priced dark side..... no sazar nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!:eek:

lol... :D

hey... I go where the performance is :D

bang for buck...

Re: P4 heatsink

Originally posted by TKC
I have no idea what the heat sink looks like for the processor, can anyone post a pic or give me a link on any installation tips.
If you get a boxed CPU the installation of the heatsink is easy as pie. No worries, and the HSF will do the job, even if it's not the best HSF in the world.

Now for the recommendations.
Keyboard: Obviously Logitech Elite keyboard. Very nice!
Mouse: I recommend the Logitech MX series. The 700 if you can afford it, otherwise the 500 or 300.

I already have a microsoft keyboard and a logitech cordless mice.
I also have two hard drives, how easy is it to arrange those drives in a raid configuration, or should I stick with normal IDE.

Originally posted by TKC
The only doubt I have is the putting in the processor.

I recommend not using the thermal pad that most OEM heatsinks use. get yourself some thermal grease and put a thin layer of it and then use a credit card to scrape it off...all you need is a very, very thin layer. and as far as putting the heat sink on. I use an old butter container lid and cut it out to fit around my cpu socket so when I put the heatsink on and I miss( which I always do the first couple of times) I dont gouge my MOBO I just hit the plastic. Also make sure that you set the heat sink flat on the cpu before clipping it on.dont clip one side then do the other because you can crack the cpu wafer.

Intel based motherboards have a "processor retention mechanism" which I guess is a standard. So I dont think putting in the heatsink will not be that much of a problem, but I am worried about the thermal compound, if I add thermal grease to the prosessor before installing the heatsink will it have any effect on the thermal compound that is already on the heatsink provided by intel.

take off the pad or any other stuff and clean it with rubbing alcohol then apply the thin layer.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back