New System Build for Friend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mainly because my 2 year old laptop processor beats a brand new intel core2duo laptop processor

Ha, ha. Yeah, okay. I don't believe that for a second. It's not even physically possible.

Honestly i don't know about the Desktop processors, but i still would never buy intel, i mean look at the prices, for the huge savings is it worth it to waste the money on an intel?

The price of a C2E is comparable to the best AMD offering, same goes for the C2D 6700. And both will beat AMD by double digit percentages in most categories when it comes to benchmarks.

Ha, ha. Yeah, okay. I don't believe that for a second. It's not even physically possible.

The price of a C2E is comparable to the best AMD offering, same goes for the C2D 6700. And both will beat AMD by double digit percentages in most categories when it comes to benchmarks.
It is physically possible.
My laptop processor is 85w.
Thats opposed to the like 35w of the Intel laptop processors.
So its more powerful and you notice the difference.
This goes for any laptop processors, mine is better than the Turions too...

P.S. The Intel stock doesn't move, but it pays a nice Dividend, I dont really need stock advice though, I just bought some AMD, will see some nice rise from them, and I bought Nvidia at 17 and sold at 35 a few months ago so...
Yeah, frankly i dont know why this has become a, i think Intel is better than AMD, no its not thread...
But i guess its interesting conversation.

My goodness. That's a terrible fallacy, Vanq. :D
The fact that a processor consumes more power doesn't necessarily make it a better performer. One of the most basic goals of microprocessor design is to maximize performance while minimizing power consumption. That's what makes the Core 2's so impressive.

True, but I am speaking from personal experience, in a comparison of the two side by side...
Im not just speculating.
My AMD 64 3200 is a more powerful processor than the core2duo in the other laptop...
It runs things quicker, multitasks better (for some odd reason) and runs games easily doubly better than the core2duo.
And its a 2 year old processor...
Although, it seemed to have only been in laptops for a few months, it really hasn't any battery life. :p

that can't be... even if it's a desktop vs laptop processor comparison i don't think a 3200 (whichever core is it) rivals a merom core cpu

i have one (3200) and it doesn't perform that much better than my laptop's dothan (it's not bad, it's just that intel's mobile procs are good)...

the thing with laptops it's that they don't have that much ram and gpus mostly suck, so sometimes things don't work as smooth as on desktops...

Hehe
I didnt build it for him.
he is more technically inclined than I am... lol
He chose the whole set up.
I posted it here because I was trying to get him not to get the 320mb card.
And it worked, he went with the 640mb card.

IMO intel is bad, In his opinion Intel is bad...
So...
We got AMD...

I really like the "IMO intel is bad, in his opinion Intel is bad" - at least you did your research and had facts to back it up :suprised:

Your opinion.
Frankly, in my personal opinion, AMD no matter the specs will always be better than AMD.
I have an AMD 64 3200+ in my laptop, and it still kicks the brand new intel core 2 duo in my company laptops a$$.
Which is another reason why i wouldnt ever buy intel...
Again
And you cant call me bias.
I own 800 shares of Intel stock.

So, what you are trying to say is that AMD will always be better than AMD? Interesting, so where does Intel fit?

P.S. The Intel stock doesn't move, but it pays a nice Dividend, I dont really need stock advice though, I just bought some AMD, will see some nice rise from them, and I bought Nvidia at 17 and sold at 35 a few months ago so...
Yeah, frankly i dont know why this has become a, i think Intel is better than AMD, no its not thread...
But i guess its interesting conversation.

As Kunal pointed out, one of the bigger improvements in the C2D especially in laptops, is they use so much less power than other competitors and Intel predecessors. Quite frankly, your statements about your AMD being faster are just wrong. No personal attack intented, but there is no hard physical proof of this being true, or even remotely possible.

However, post some benchmarks comparing the two, let's take a look.

I try not to judge products based on the crap my company IT department buys. No matter how fast a basic system they put together they manage to select some part poorly (too little RAM, pathetic video, etc) and choke it to death.

My current Intel system at work is not bad, and that is with no intentional effort to make it a performance system. My previous Pentium system at work was pathetic compared to anything AMD offered at the time. Intel really lost it for a while but they have been back in the lead for about a year now and AMD is floundering badly (and admitted it in a press interview, specifically saying they blew it with the 2 chip quad core approach).

Yeah lol, whos gonna Buy two chips to get quad core :p.

I will not post a benchmark, because frankly... I dont care enough.
And i really dont like just saying what I believe over and over and over again.

I told you i based it off of experience, and i would have thought i had a dud, but... I have two new intel processor computers, a core2duo and a core solo or whatever.
And my AMD the compaq, is still better...

I apologize for the wording mistake KC, although I'm sure you knew what I meant...

Allow me to laugh one last time. LOL. Okay, that's enough from me.

It could be true that the Athlon 3200+ outperforms the Core 2 Duo. I have seen a Core 2 Duo totally fail certain benchmarks. The computer was switched off at the time mind you. Maybe that's what's happened here?

:D

Vanquished, no offense m8 but if you are basing your decisions on the numbers and "feelings" you are expressing AND your friend happens to be more technically inclined than you and is buying into your "facts" then I'm sorry, you're both grossly mis-informed and performing the old ostrich with head in the sand trick.

As has been explained ad-nauseum here, power consumption numbers you are rating are correct but you are way beyond seeing them in the wrong light. You're not just beyond left field, I think you're at the other end of the universe.

The TDP numbers in notebooks are such. The lower, the better. Performance is entirely different. The idea is to LOWER TDP, not increase it. Why do you think AMD is spending so much on R&D to get its TDP down? Why do you think Intel went that route with its current gen and has invested so heavily in low-TDP products well into the future as well?

Further, feel free to show anyone here a set of benchmarks where an a64 is beating a C2D in the same price-bracket. I will patiently await your response.

For the record, I LOVE AMD and am waiting with bated breath for K8L to debut on the market. I have seen internally what the Barcelona core can do and it's definitely interesting. No comparative tests unfortunately but it would be under NDA regardless.

Understand that I fully respect your right to your opinion, but I am loathe to stand here and watch you drown in a sea of fallacies without trying to make you understand how incredibly wrong you are. It would be a gross disservice on my part to let you make these kind of mistakes and so badly interpret data.

Cheers.

I really regret building this system. I wish I had waited for the C2Ds to come out.

how about who cares. less than 1% of computer owners can justify 1200usd processors. Intel just took the absolute build it at any cost approach. I still find it amazing that in the same line with the same machine in the same run there could be 50 different variances with processors ...maybe a tenth qualify for the core duo extreme so they cost more.

Intel won this round because of AMD's approach to offer something affordable and cutting edge. Merging with ATI will most definitely tilt the ball in their favor the next generation when they implement video controllers on the processor ... which is beginning to sound more and more like the killer "cell processor." I don't think there is any hardcore evidence of this ..but AMD didnt buy ATI for shyts n giggles. I figure the gpu will now be an AMD chip upping video technology yet again .. and somehow linking its memory bandwidth directly with the cpu and ram ... again sounding more like cell processing. Also the profit margin on Video cards is much greater than cpus.

Intel has gone smaller ..but is still doing the exact same thing ..no innovation ... just smaller. Amd is taking a chance with the future and again ..obviously considered this generation was worth giving up the lead for the next generation when their cpu and gpu are directly linked.

No one here has seemed to input the price/performance/ownership ratio. Its all about ..oh Lamborghini Diablo is faster than Ferrari Enzo ..when 99% of the world own fords or chevy's or whatever.

Actually its more like Corvette v. Viper ... when most own chevy cavalier or dodge neon.

so while you encode your dvd on to your hard drive with your quad core extreme ..that costs 1200 bucks ... ill be happy using my dual core amd that was 300 bucks and hell ..might even take 10 seconds longer ... i fail to understand why i would spend 900 more bucks for 10 seconds.

I totally can understand video card prices and am happy buying them ..because more often than not ...the upgrade is HOLY CRAP when you fire up your computer with them...instant justification and gratification. A new processor ... new ram ... uhhh i thought there would be more improvement.

Last edited:
actually, no one here compared core 2 extreme, quad or athlon fx... we're all talking about 200-300 usd cpus, which are mainstream right now

and intel still gets excellent results in the price-performance ratio

how about who cares. less than 1% of computer owners can justify 1200usd processors. Intel just took the absolute build it at any cost approach. I still find it amazing that in the same line with the same machine in the same run there could be 50 different variances with processors ...maybe a tenth qualify for the core duo extreme so they cost more.

Intel won this round because of AMD's approach to offer something affordable and cutting edge. Merging with ATI will most definitely tilt the ball in their favor the next generation when they implement video controllers on the processor ... which is beginning to sound more and more like the killer "cell processor." I don't think there is any hardcore evidence of this ..but AMD didnt buy ATI for shyts n giggles. I figure the gpu will now be an AMD chip upping video technology yet again .. and somehow linking its memory bandwidth directly with the cpu and ram ... again sounding more like cell processing. Also the profit margin on Video cards is much greater than cpus.

Intel has gone smaller ..but is still doing the exact same thing ..no innovation ... just smaller. Amd is taking a chance with the future and again ..obviously considered this generation was worth giving up the lead for the next generation when their cpu and gpu are directly linked.

No one here has seemed to input the price/performance/ownership ratio. Its all about ..oh Lamborghini Diablo is faster than Ferrari Enzo ..when 99% of the world own fords or chevy's or whatever.

Actually its more like Corvette v. Viper ... when most own chevy cavalier or dodge neon.

Sooooo, if you had the option, when purchasing a car, to buy a hyundai from a few years back v/s a new Toyota/Honda product for the same price, you are suggesting that people should buy the Hyundai?

I dunno m8, sounds pretty daft to me.

actually, no one here compared core 2 extreme, quad or athlon fx... we're all talking about 200-300 usd cpus, which are mainstream right now

and intel still gets excellent results in the price-performance ratio
We're actually talking about a 50 dollar cpu vs a 400 dollar cpu...
But anyways, you are all daft except TrainMaster.

Just so you know, my processor is an AMD Athlon 64 3200.
Not an athlon 3200, there is a huge difference RAY...

We're actually talking about a 50 dollar cpu vs a 400 dollar cpu...
But anyways, you are all daft except TrainMaster.

Just so you know, my processor is an AMD Athlon 64 3200.
Not an athlon 3200, there is a huge difference RAY...

Dude, I want what you're smoking.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Windsor 2.6GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADA5200CSBOX - Retail
Item #: N82E16819103759
Return Policy: Processors (CPUs) Return Policy
Add this item to your cart

$205.001

50 bucks eh?

And fyi, Core 2 procs can be purchased for the same price.

Before you start calling other people daft, understand we are just trying to help you out and prevent your friend AND you from making an idiotic mistake.

Seriously though, why the hell do you want to start a thread asking for advice from people who making their living in the technology field and can run circles around you with their product knowledge when you're just going to diss them and dismiss their (VERY SOUND) advice in lieu of your own personal bias', misconceptions and seriously misguided understanding of product performance.

I have owned an a64 3400+, my home desktop is current an X2 4400+, my work notebook is a core duo and my work desktop is a core 2 duo.

Based on these products, there is no way you can convince me that the a64 3200 you have is as "good" or "better" than any of the other products. Even my Yonah based notebook proc runs circles around my old 3400+.

I am glad that you are happy with the performance of the 3200+, it is a good processor. I am however dumbfounded how you can continue to defend its (decent) performance in light of the superior performance compared to all the other products that are better than it.

<insert head shaking smiley>

Seriously, if all you are capable of is dissing the most helpful people on these forums, why bother posting this thread in the first place?

Dude, I want what you're smoking.

50 bucks eh?

And fyi, Core 2 procs can be purchased for the same price.

Before you start calling other people daft, understand we are just trying to help you out and prevent your friend AND you from making an idiotic mistake.

Seriously though, why the hell do you want to start a thread asking for advice from people who making their living in the technology field and can run circles around you with their product knowledge when you're just going to diss them and dismiss their (VERY SOUND) advice in lieu of your own personal bias', misconceptions and seriously misguided understanding of product performance.

I have owned an a64 3400+, my home desktop is current an X2 4400+, my work notebook is a core duo and my work desktop is a core 2 duo.

Based on these products, there is no way you can convince me that the a64 3200 you have is as "good" or "better" than any of the other products. Even my Yonah based notebook proc runs circles around my old 3400+.

I am glad that you are happy with the performance of the 3200+, it is a good processor. I am however dumbfounded how you can continue to defend its (decent) performance in light of the superior performance compared to all the other products that are better than it.

<insert head shaking smiley>

Seriously, if all you are capable of is dissing the most helpful people on these forums, why bother posting this thread in the first place?
No offense, but are you retarded?
Have I compared the 5200 to anything?

I have been comparing my laptop processor, to a laptop c2d...
Ergo my pricing, though a little skewed for the Intel, since it was an estimate is accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back