New Motherboard and a Not So Fresh Feeling

chaos945

OSNN Senior Addict
So I am very happy with Windows 7. I switched my old "data server" box from XP to 7 and my newer laptop from Vista to 7 and as stated am very pleased with the entire package in general.

I replaced a motherboard on a customer's computer, due to blown caps. I ordered a replacement motherboard with the same socket, 775. So to be straight that is: new RAM (the old MB only had DDR slots) and new motherboard.

I installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 on this system before the new parts so I knew it was in decent shape. Back when XP came out, heck even with 95, 98, ME, I attempted to reuse a Windows installation after changing hardware drastically. I know it is possible, and yes, you could do a bunch of monkeying to get it to work, but no... its not worth the hassle.

That being said I figured I'd give it a shot and see how Windows 7 would handle a new motherboard (and RAM). To my surprise the system booted up just fine! I thought a blue screen maybe, or errors, or missing drivers, or hell springing forth from Redmond. But no! I checked the hardware manager and only the ACPI drivers were missing. I humped over to grab them and everything looks A-O-K.

I've seen reports of more drastic hardware changes like multi/single core CPU changes, motherboard with new socket, etc. But this is pretty great I have to say.

Thats good to know, Thanks Chaos.

Haven't come up to a situation like that yet.

Heeter

That is good to know. It will make it a lot easier in the future ..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back