New Intel Destroys AMD

It's all good... And wrt AMD, many of us had done little different when the Athlon was not yet released. I remember sitting on the Intel developer forums in the late 1990s, and mentioning Athlon and what was slate...

Then there were those who were like "this is Intel, how could a half pint company like AMD do anything". My responce was essentially "I'm not so sure guys. We're not necessarily talking the AMD of old; and given the engineers they acquired from the DEC team, and also the partnership they were forming with Digital for things like the EV6 bus..." Thing is, Digital did not see Intel as a competitor (outside of Itanium possibly, and they were determined to try to nip that possible threat to their market space in the bud). They saw Sun Microsystems as a competor, and other mfg's of 64-bit RISC processors like the RS6000. They were more then happy to liscense dynamic execution from Intel, so they cold add it into the EV6 proc, but...

Funny was how Intel's PR rep came into work at like 3 am on New Years, and had an official PR statement with which to try to counter both my posts, as well as the posts of a couple other guys on this. In the end, and after the release of the Athlon. And in the PR statement, about all they had to say was Intel's the bigger company, the Athlon isn't released, so you should all wait and see. Signature had the guy as Intel public relations... Beyond that, little substance.

The rest was history up till now... The PIII didn't easily clock beyond 1 GHz, so AMD beat Intel to the 1 GHz milestone, and the P4 was released with Willemette before all the things orginally slated for it got implemented. No doubt as a reaction from Intel's marketing, but it also resulted in the 1.5 GHz Willy under-performing the 1 GHz PIII in bench after bench. Then again, I knew some people who were not only Intel certified partners, but also were Alpha (as well as UltraSPARC) system builders, and had the ear to the ground both wrt Digital, and their upcomming partnerships with AMD at that time...

It's all good, and just as reasonable for people to mention wrt Conroe, as we did wrt Athlon in the year or so leading up to it's release. :up:

Oh, and yeah, I remember em old computers. Those were the days when 128 KB of RAM was touted as a big thing, and the sales guy was telling my father all the great things one can do with 128 K... In 1981 or 1982 it didn't seem laughable, today people would laugh :D Also the days when a second floppy drive was considered a big innovation, as most PCs didn't have hard drives, and a second floppy meant one didn't have to swap between their DOS floppy, and the floppy holding the program on it. Oh, and yes, em monochrome monitors of em days also...

Last edited:
popcorn.gif

I was going to post a long-winded post about the history of mankind from (allegedly) single-celled organisms through till today but I ran out of steam.

I'm glad I wasen't part of those days, I enjoy my world how it is.

Aw :)

Well suffice it to say then, that such discussion today, is no different then discussions I had participated in the January preceding the launch of Athlon... If it was reasonable for us to discuss that (and on Intel's own forums nonetheless); it's certainly just as fair for people to discuss it today when the shoes a bit on the other foot :D

Oh, and I might not have been clear, but the end of my post (beyond these companies) was wrt Bman's mention here.

Holy crap, lots of information!! It's crazy how far we are going ahead with technology. I can't wait to get my hands on some of these things. I'm glad I'm of the newer generation, so I can live my whole life testing out all these crazy new things that will come out lol

Yeah, it's nice to see such inovations. What I wanna know, is when we get em quantum computers :D Yeah Bman, things have certainly come a long way, and look to get even better moving forward :up:

Sazar said:
I am waiting for the "waaah waaah, Dell should use AMD" crowd to chime in soon :)
:smoker:

You had to say something didn't you!

Waaah, waaah. If Dell did an AMD chip desktop I might buy one considering I hear only good things about the way they treat their customers and their bundle prices are great.

Back to the review. I guess I rambled too much. My points were:
1) It was next gen Intel vs last gen AMD which many people picked up on.
2) I wanted to see performance with a wider range of chipsets to see if it was an AMD-ATI issue or if the Intel was really that good.

3) But most importantly - what was going on with the CPU/MB/etc that made a CPU change show such a large video performance difference?

Based on the benchmarks I've seen, and the ones I've run myself, I had not thought a CPU upgrade (especially when the CPU was already top end) could boost video performance that much.

This makes me wonder what is choking video performance now?
-PCI-e interface implementation?
-Southbridge/Northbridge?
-CPU memory bandwidth?

I have a personal interest. My x800xl seems to be underperforming in real games compared to what I expect, but gets the expected numbers in benchmarks.

I'm wondering if it's this VIA 890A chipset or the DDR 400 RAM.

PS Did anyone else catch the hint SAZAR dropped about he had seen these results quite a while back. NO FAIR. He gets to peak.

Son Goku said:
It's all good... And wrt AMD, many of us had done little different when the Athlon was not yet released. I remember sitting on the Intel developer forums in the late 1990s, and mentioning Athlon and what was slate...

I remember arguing why IBM went with that brain dead 8088 instead of a full blown 8086 CPU. And the merits of CPM over DOS. :lick:

What the hell is the conroe?
Also those are bogus test results, how can you compare a brand new technology to amds same old stuff that intel got crushed by?
Once AMD sets out a new one of course it will wip the sh** out of intel...

Arghh, Stop posting 5 paragraph essays, im too lazy and don't have the time to read them

Notice the TDP and look out for a theme with Intel's new procs :cool:

?
Whats the conroe?
Im sorry i am bias to amd...
-Jack

The codename for Intel's next processor.

What are the two full names of these to products. Also, I don't know what to choose now.

Bman™ said:
What are the two full names of these to products. Also, I don't know what to choose now.
As others have said, wait until you are ready to buy before "choosing". Else you will drive yourself nutty :s

I know that, but I just want as much details on each, so when it comes the day to click the buy button I will be ready.

Im not a big intel fan, thus i probably will not buy or consider buying these... Why dont they test them against the fx 60?

Vanquished said:
Im not a big intel fan, thus i probably will not buy or consider buying these... Why dont they test them against the fx 60?

What do you think they tested them against?

Peanuts?

:dead:

I thougt it was the x2...
I had a feeling it was gonna be the fx after i said it but i was tooo tired to change it

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back