• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

new disk drive

dadecamp

under worked, over paid
I just got a new disk drive and am wondering if it is posible to move everything from the old to the new dive and have it be the boot drive without doing a reinstall of the operating system. The existing system is running win 98 on a 2.1 gig hard drive. The new drive is a ata100 40gig.

If this is posible, how.

Thanks

yea u would have to make the first partition o nthe new drive the exact same size, as the old drive.

Norton Ghost
or
Drive Image bothwill do the job nicely

:)

Originally posted by Iceman
yea u would have to make the first partition o nthe new drive the exact same size, as the old drive.
Nope, no need for that. Works just as well with a full 40Gig partition.

coathanger007

Tomorrow Tweaking Today
For new drives the easiest free way to transfer is to use the software that comes with your Hard disk. e.g. Seagate Discwizard. Check out website.

Admiral Michael

Michaelsoft Systems CEO
I believe that windows 98SE cannot support a drive that large. FAT32 has size limitations. You would have to partition a few times to use FAT32. If you had windows 2000 or XP you could use NTFS which will suport it.

Shamus MacNoob

Political User
In theory, FAT32 volumes can be about 8 terabytes; however, the maximum FAT32 volume size that Windows XP Professional can format is 32 GB. Therefore, you must use NTFS to format volumes larger than 32 GB. However, Windows XP Professional can read and write to larger FAT32 volumes formatted by other operating systems.

The problem is with winxp it cannot format past 32Gb for fat 32

Shamus MacNoob

Political User
In theory, FAT32 volumes can be about 8 terabytes; however, the maximum FAT32 volume size that Windows XP Professional can format is 32 GB. Therefore, you must use NTFS to format volumes larger than 32 GB. However, Windows XP Professional can read and write to larger FAT32 volumes formatted by other operating systems.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tr...prodtechnol/winxppro/reskit/prkc_fil_tdrn.asp

you can read it here at microsoft

K

kitct

Hdd disk manager does it too.I jus did a 40g WD hdd w/a WD hdd Disk Manger floppy.Jus download from manufac of your hdd.

XP would only do NTFS until it was first done by WD.

PM wouldnt do it for me either(till after WD did it first).

Fdisk, format is so slow! Maybe 45 min./40g hdd. Disk Manager takes about 1-2 min./done!

j79zlr

Glaanies script monkey
Political User
You can create a FAT32 partition larger than 32GB with FDISK. Some BIOSes have a limit of disk size too, but that should of been fixed a long time ago. XP with SP1 or 2k with SP3 fixed the limitation of 137GB. Also note that the maximum file size FAT32 supports is somewhere around 1-3GB, I forget. NTFS can have a file as large as the partition itself.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies