network

trackrat

Birmingham UK
Hi, I have 2 computers networked through a D-Link router, I can access the intanet on both but cannot get them to see each other even though I followed the set up instructions to the letter. Both are running XP home.
I need to get access to the printer and the shared files.

trackrat said:
Hi, I have 2 computers networked through a D-Link router, I can access the intanet on both but cannot get them to see each other even though I followed the set up instructions to the letter. Both are running XP home.
I need to get access to the printer and the shared files.

Have you run the Network Setup Wizard? You can reach it by opening up "My Network Places" and selecting "Setup Home Network" or something like that. Try that, and if that doesn't work, make sure that you have the right network protocols installed on each machine (my laptop was missing NetBios, causing me to pull my hair out for a while) All pcs have to be using the same workgroup, by the way, which you can set when you run the wizard, I don't think it matters what you use, as long as it is the same for all of your network computers.

don't run the networking wizard, it usually screws things up.

Diasble the XP firewall, give the computers unique names, they do not have to be in the same workgroup, but makes things easier. Make sure you Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP in the advanced TCP configuration. That is it. Assigning static IP's should also make things easier. Check connectivity with pings.

j79zlr, thanks for that reply, but as I have never done this before can you give me some simple instructions to follow. As you said the network wizard did not do the job.
Regards Alan

ming said:
what do you mean by 'bump' threads?

adding an irrelevant reply to a thread to bring it back to the "new posts" area of the forum

Apology

You have my apologies PseudoKiller, I had no idea I was in the wrong but I will now for future reference.
Regards Alan

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back