Need Help: Precision M70 NOW or M90 THEN?

cirkus

OSNN Newbie
Hi,

I'm a CATIA user (NC Prog.). I need to buy a Laptop in order to complete few contracts I got. I was about to buy the Dell Precision M70 when I heard about the M90... So I called Dell and the rep told me that the M90 was coming out mid march...but I saw on this board that it was kinda pushed...until God knows when. I need your help to make the decision. I need the laptop by mid April , do you think The M90 will be out by then? Do you have an alternative to the M70/M90? I would like my new Laptop to have the Dual core, but I know that the M70 would do the job just fine...

Thank you in advance for the help!

Buy the X1 or wait for the M90. Wait as long as you can and if it still isn't available then buy the next best thing.

cirkus said:
Hi,

I'm a CATIA user (NC Prog.). I need to buy a Laptop in order to complete few contracts I got. I was about to buy the Dell Precision M70 when I heard about the M90... So I called Dell and the rep told me that the M90 was coming out mid march...but I saw on this board that it was kinda pushed...until God knows when. I need your help to make the decision. I need the laptop by mid April , do you think The M90 will be out by then? Do you have an alternative to the M70/M90? I would like my new Laptop to have the Dual core, but I know that the M70 would do the job just fine...

Thank you in advance for the help!

The m90 will be superior to the m70 in many many ways. I would wait.

The gfx card is going to be a much better product and it should have better security features included as well.

I don't know if the notebook will be available by then. If you definitely need something, get the m70 I guess.

Is the reason for a deadline a grant or something like that?

Sazar said:
The m90 will be superior to the m70 in many many ways. I would wait.

The gfx card is going to be a much better product and it should have better security features included as well.

I don't know if the notebook will be available by then. If you definitely need something, get the m70 I guess.

Is the reason for a deadline a grant or something like that?

Actually, the deadline a line that I drew for myself... it can move for good reasons (kinda what you gave... without giving any details:rolleyes:) . These contracts will be acheived one way or another... the only thing is that I'm gonna be stuck in my home office instead of going in the cottage or anywhere in the house, next to the girlfriend and kid (kinda more acceptable way to make money in the "family time" for my girlfriend...:) )

Now let say I wait, will I get all the advantage of the dual core if I use XP Pro and Catia 64 bits or will it be running 64 bits only with Vista?? I'm confused with this techno.

If ever you have more details about the M90 that you want to share, fell free!

Thanks for the info!

Sazar said:
I'll try to get more details.

That would be FANTASTIC!!!:) Of course, if you can tell me when and how much $$$ is the target...then it would be PHENOMENAL!!!:) :)

Ok, here is an update.

Not concrete info but it will likely debut during the first half of april.

Not definite though.

Thanks Sazar! Having the chance to speak french, I saw on another (french) forum that the M90 and the M65 could be released on march 29 to sell and the production could start on April 15... (the guy claim to be a sale rep). I also got the (french) tech sheets for those 2 laptops...

Could you tell me where I could find infos for my second questions. I'm sure you already discussed about it, but where? I'm mixing up dualcore and 64 bits, Is dual core means 64bits ? Is there any 64 bits single core? Do you need a 64 bits OS to run 64 bits application? I'm confused....

I don't have pricing information.

A processor typically has 1 core. Now, they have managed to put 2 core on one processor (like have 2 processors) and that is dual-core technology.

The current Yonah based processors are not 64-bit. You will have to wait for the Merom processors to have 64-bit capability. Intel currently does not have a 64-bit notebook solution.

You NEED to have a 64-bit processor to run 64-bit applications.

I can't wait for laptops with dual core 64-bit processors. That will be simply amazing :eek:

:) IT'S THERE! The M90 is finally available (sell), but only not in Canada yet though... It's almost Christmas!!!:)

Now when will it be available north of the border? A Rep told me in a few days...Cant wait! (I sound like a kid in a candy store do I?)

Lead time is approx 14-21 days for most of the new stuff. Try getting a priority build setup.

Sazar said:
I don't have pricing information.

A processor typically has 1 core. Now, they have managed to put 2 core on one processor (like have 2 processors) and that is dual-core technology.

The current Yonah based processors are not 64-bit. You will have to wait for the Merom processors to have 64-bit capability. Intel currently does not have a 64-bit notebook solution.

You NEED to have a 64-bit processor to run 64-bit applications.

Thank you very much Sazar! You are very kind! I guess I'll get a good advantage with a dual core over a single core for my cad-cam application.

If the cad-cam apps are multi-threaded, yes.

Some rendering apps for 3d definitely make good use of dual-core procs.

Regardless, you will still see a nice boost in some other apps and overall use of the system will be a lot smoother for you.

7200RPM hard drives, that's good news. The new dual band Intel card for wireless.

Sazar said:
If the cad-cam apps are multi-threaded, yes.

Some rendering apps for 3d definitely make good use of dual-core procs.

Regardless, you will still see a nice boost in some other apps and overall use of the system will be a lot smoother for you.
Well Mister, Today is the day! The 2.17 is finally available in Canada. I'm placing the order this morning. Thanks for all the help and you words of wisdom. I know who to get to for good infos, hint and tip now! I'll give you news as soon as I recceive it!

:cool:

You're welcome.

I wish I had money to buy one of the babies :D

I hope to when the 420 is available. Right now, this marketing degree is sucking all my funds away :eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back