Need help networking 2 computers

vivid_vibe

OSNN Senior Addict
I am trying to network 2 computers to share files and printer use. I currently have a router with 2 computers and an XBOX 360 sharing internet access, all works fine. I recently tried to allow the 2 PCs to share file and printer use and it just will not work. I have tried running the network setup wizard on both PCs, I have tried network troubleshooting in Windows Help, and I have tried reading some guides online, but all to no avail. Can anyone help me solve this seemingly simple dilemma? I'm not sure what information I need to supply in this post to help, but both PCs are running XP Pro and they both have working internet access through the router. The XBOX also connects through the router just fine, and not only that, the XBOX connects just fine to one of the PCs to stream music and video from it. Let me know if anymore information can be of help, and any help or pointers will be much appreciated (and repped of course). Thanks,

vivid

Last edited:
Couple things off hand maybe you can or can not answer.

Are they both on the same workgroup?

Can you ping them?

Have you tried accessing them through IP?

have you set the folders you want to share and the users allowed to view them

Do you use the same accountnames and passwords on both computers?

For printersharing you need to add the printer that is connected to pc 1 to pc 2. Go (on pc 2) to start - printers - add printer and look for the networkprinter connected to pc 1 (you can also manually add the printer by typing it's name like \\name pc 1\name printer on pc 1. After this the drivers must be/will be installed on pc 2.

Now you should be able to print from pc 2 but only if pc 1 is running.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but this is something that is bugging the crap out of me. I really want these 2 comps networked, at the least, they need to share a printer. Is there a chance that I have a service disabled that is necessary? I have been through every other option. Thanks to anyone who can solve this mystery. If any other info is needed, please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks,

vivid

Did you share the printer? I mean, share the printer itself?

Last edited:
Lets start from the beginning. You have 2 XP Pro PC's. Make sure you have identical usernames and passwords on both PC's. To simplify, make sure they are both in the same workgroup and have unique computer names. Enable NetBIOS over TCP. Share something. That should be it.

Did you share the printer? I mean, share the printer itself?
Yes.

j79zlr said:
Lets start from the beginning. You have 2 XP Pro PC's. Make sure you have identical usernames and passwords on both PC's. To simplify, make sure they are both in the same workgroup and have unique computer names.
Check.

j79zlr said:
Enable NetBIOS over TCP.
Check.

j79zlr said:
Share something. That should be it.
I have covered everything you mentioned, to no avail. Thanks, I will... keep trying.

vivid

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes.

Check.

Check.

I have covered everything you mentioned, to no avail. Thanks, I will... keep trying.

vivid
As your connecting to the internet through a router which probably has some form of firewall in it, try completely disabling the Windows firewall on both PC's. Though you have allowed the IP's access through the firewall it doesnt mean anything will work. I have seen this problem many times and one of the most common fixes is disabling the XP firewall.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back