need help from a Registry-God

J

J0sh

Ok, I've got a big problem, but I don't wanna trouble you people with it, I just need a little help. When I go into Folder Options -> File Types I see "Folder" and "File Folder". I need to change some of the options (more than the Folder Options lets me) so I looked in the registry. I opened HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and I managed to find the entry for "Folder" but I really need to find "File Folder". Can one of you registry gods help me??? please?!?!?!?

(PS, if anyone really wants to help more, I can relate to you the entire story, but I believe I can fix it once I find "File Folder" in the registry. :D )

Found it myself

If anyone cares, its at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory

Originally posted by J0sh
Found it myself

If anyone cares, its at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory

josh, we're all interested in anybodys idea on adjusting the registry, so tell us what you wanted to do, and tell us if and you get there

Ok, Dealer, I managed to completely fix it last night. Basically, two days ago I tried to change the default folder icon, and through no fault of my own, folders no longer opened, but they opened Command Prompts

So I went into folder options -> file types, an noticed there were 2 folders, "Folder" and "File Folder". "File Folder" was what I was trying to change the icon of when the problem started, so I added a new entry which called explorer.exe.

This worked, except that now all folders opened in new windows, a la 95 style. So I went looking in the registry. I found the "Folder" key at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder and figured that if I could find the "File Folder" key I could simply transcribe the Open command into it. That's why I posted here, but before I got a reply I pretty randomly found it in Directory: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory

That housed all the same options as "File Folder" so I manually copied this key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell\open and all its subkeys into "Diretory" and everything seems to be back to normal.

edit: I cant's stop the board from cutting off the end of that last key, it should end with shell\open

pretty interesting...dirk'll be proud...when you were looking for your key, did you know there's a search feature in the registry?

hit edit, hit find, then check one or all three of the boxes

Originally posted by dealer
pretty interesting...dirk'll be proud...when you were looking for your key, did you know there's a search feature in the registry?

hit edit, hit find, then check one or all three of the boxes

yeah, I knew that.... I tried using it, but was stupid and didn't search for the right things.... sometimes I'm just stupid like that.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back