• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Need App to measure maximum connection bandwidth

X

XP Abuser

Hi all i need a program that will measure the maximum bandwidth of your connection (not the amount you are using) cuz my BB seems slow and i want to know exactly how fast it is and work out the best times to go on when the network is faster and do some downloading

cheerz

E

EventHorizon

Abuser,

whilst you can measure your bandwidth this may not be that helpfull.

However, if you can provide the following it will be usefull in giving a more complete answer:

1. - Are you on ADSL or cable?
2. - What sites are you trying to download from?
3. - Who is your ISP?

These are very important, what you have to remember is that your bandwidth may be 512K/256k but olne of the many nodes that you go through may only be transmitting at 1k. Not sure what I mean? Try loading a command window and then type tracert www.siteyouaredownloadingfrom.whatever.

Look at what it says, if there is a line that timesout (it's best of 3 here, you'll see what I mean when it is on screen) then there is a slow node when you are connecting to that site. Best bet for downloading...get a download manager and just leave the system connected running several downloads at once! ;)

C

computerfreak76

ok first off your maximum bandwidth can only equal your isp's caps(unless you find a way to uncap your modem). I'm not sure of anyone else's computer but when i access the task manager there is a networking tab there and it shows a network utilization percentage.

if you have this on your computer i suggest finding a file that will max out your percentage and figure the actual number from there.

X

XP Abuser

i want to know the maximum bandwidth that i can get through my dsl line as sometimes the BT network is more busier and so it limits your connection to 366kbps thats what i want to know i measured it today on cnet as they have a bandwidth test but i dont want to keep going to the site to check my bandwidth and maybe compare times to find which is the fastest time to download cheerz any help pleez:)

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political User
another option:
I like to visit dslreports.com to check what my bandwidth is at different times. They have a 'Tools' link that has a 'Speed Test', which is a java-based online program. It measures your bandwidth up and down, and prints out a graphical report. Also, you might want to look at tweaking your connection with some registry entries. There are plenty of places to find info on this, but I can provide it for you if you need it.

oDin

xp m0nk3y
something else you might want to look into is a little app called DUmeter. its a little utility that measures your bandwidth realtime. it can sit in your system tray or a little applet anywhere on your desktop. i have been using it for like 2 or 3 years now. its a great little toy.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies