Nasty Circle

Scooter

Random Apple Dude
Ok. Heres the deal (so to speak).
I'm in a nasty old loop over the question;

"Do I buy an external large (storage capacity) hard drive, or do I buy extra RAM. Or, do I save up the ££ that would be spent on the RAM / Hard Drive and wait a loooooong time and put it towards a G5???"

Its not really a queston of pros and cons because I want all 3 (in my la la fantasy land :p )

- I need the extra HD space for digitised video editting, music, etc etc etc; also to help transfer work between G4 desktop ~ iBook ~ college systems
- I need the extra RAM as a general "pick me up"
- I lust for the G5 for sooo many different reasons

DDaaaammm... I don't know which to choose since I'm looking at very roughly about £150 for RAM / the same for extra storage (+ a bit) ... then obviousally about £3000 for the G5 (with addons).

...Nuts!

Suggestions??... advice??... wanna buy me a G5 (tower, not all-in-one)??
I'll take anything.... please... :eek:

Get the G5, it'll be much better for your editing needs, and you'll be able to buy a model with a SuperDrive, so you can just use a re-writable DVD to transport material around.

I agree. I love my G5 that I have (even though I use it mainly for business purposes and use my iMac for Recreation).

Go for the G5, if you need video editing/composition it will do a much better job :)

How long will it take you to save up enough for a G5? If you can get it anytime in the not-so-distant future, that's obviously going to be the best choice.

If not, how much RAM do you already have, and how much would you be adding? Although more RAM definitely speeds up things, I'm more inclined to suggest going for an external Firewire/USB2.0 drive, since it would be faster and more convenient than burning CDs/DVDs all the time.

NetRyder said:
How long will it take you to save up enough for a G5? If you can get it anytime in the not-so-distant future, that's obviously going to be the best choice..
From his post it seems like a G5 is something thats going to take him a while to aquire. :(
Scooter said:
wait a loooooong time and put it towards a G5

Then I'd say an external drive, if he already has a gig of RAM.

If it is for the iBook, get an external drive, if it is for the iMac G4, just get an interal drive, if you need to use it for storage on the iBook, use a firewire cable, and just use the G4 as a external drive by booting it with the firewire plugged in.

I'm just running the "bog standard" 256mb RAM at the mo (hence lust for more).
And yes, it would take...is taking me -ruddy ages- to save up for a G5. And the storage would be used just on the G4 - but - I'm aiming more for an external HD for ease of data updates, transfer between present G4, iBook and college G5, then my G5 (or may even be G6 by the time I get enough £££ saved).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back