My Pictures Keeps Re-creating Itself

Actually no. I do just about every thing else with my slipstreamed CD's but I don't move and rename the Documents folder until after Windows is installed and I format the D drive. Then I copy the documents from my backup to the D drive into Documents. Rename and repoint My Documents.

kcnychief said:
Does that give you a folder in both places?

No, D:\My Music was made by me. I changed the location via TweakUI and deleted the E:\My Documents\My Music.

Only time it re-spawned was when I forgot to change the rip music folder location in Media Player. So everytime I launched Media Player it would make the folder. I simply changed the location to D:\My Music.

madmatt said:
I don't have My Pictures listed. Odd.

According to TweakUI you can right click drag the folder to the location you want and select Move Here. When that's done, rename the folder and I think your good to go.

You can always go the Regedit route here:

Last edited:
The registry is setup correctly. But like I said above, every time I use an Office application to insert an image My Pictures reappears.

However, I wonder why my TweakUI isn't showing My Pictures in special folders. It only shows My Documents (for the "my" folders).

I see what you see here on my home PC.

that tweak I provided earlier works for My Pictures as well, FYI -

That's what I am using, your tweak. It's still odd that I don't see these folders in Tweak UI.

Well when I first format my system My Music doesn't appear for some reason. Later on it does.

My tears will dry someday lol...Naw I didn't read up on the first post too well. I'm horrible with details, but I can read a book in minutes.

Michael,

I found out why I didn't have those three items (My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos) listed.

In the registry I should have...

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos

After I added those I once again saw them in Tweak UI.

I deleted the file Chief had me create to see if this will correct the issue.

Is there a way to just disable these folders? They are rather annoying.

You could try changing the path the registry variable looks to (set it to nothing). That might work.

madmatt said:
You could try changing the path the registry variable looks to (set it to nothing). That might work.

Sounds dangerous. :p

Some times you have to live on the edge.

Do you store your wallpaper in that folder? Cause I found that when I renames My Pictures to My Wallpaper all registry entries seemed to change to reflect it.

Any time you open an application that stores data or setup info (even temporarily) in my_documents/pic/music the directories get recreated. There must be 50 programs (probably 150) on my computer that use the default directories and recreate them. The same goes for windows updates and other program updates too.

Damnit Billy Gate$ decided you are all too stupid to create your own directory structure so bow down and learn to live with it! Or switch to Linux.

Unless you want to spend all your time in a futile attempt to defeat every 100k long application, program and utility you use. Life is too short and the windows user interface too pervasive.

Most people have music files. Most people have picture files. All you have to do is point the registry to the directories you keep those files in. Or point them to a temp directory and then Windows won't re-create them; it will assume they are already created as the temp directory.

So set the registry to C:\WINDOWS\Temp and you will be all set.

I tested this and it does in fact work.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back