MP3's | WMP | Itunes

Bman

OSNN Veteran Original
Alright, didn't know where to post this.

I have a collection of MP3's. I have changed over the years from using Itunes to WMP. I have noticed now, that some of my albums only work (able to add to library) in WMP, and some only in Itunes.

Is there a program, or away to make sure all my music works in both players and is organized the same? As in keeps all data, and cover art etc.

LeeJend

OSNN Veteran Addict
Some may have proprietary digital rigths management embedded in them preventing portability.

You have to strip out the DRM using acracking tool then reconvert them all to the medium you want (WMP). You may have to manually redo the titles. Any added items like artwork will probably be lost.

Reconverting may cause some qulaity loss but if you reconvert at the higherst level possible the loss should be minimal.

If it makes you feel any better Europe is having a battle with Gates over proprietary media formats. You are not alone.

Bman

OSNN Veteran Original
Why do people with power and money have to complicate things for the people who actually use these things. There really should only be one program , one file type and thats it.

So there isn't a program that can help me out? With organizing or anything?

Is there a converter for m4a to mp3?

Actually, unless you bought music from the iTunes Music Store, it's unlikely that DRM is the reason your tracks aren't playing in WMP11. iTMS downloads are copy-protected AAC files (with a .m4p extension), but if these are tracks that you ripped from your CDs using iTunes (and you used the AAC option instead of mp3), then they're just regular AAC files, and will have a .m4a extension.

dbPowerAmp can batch-convert all your m4a files to mp3s for you, although this will result in quality-loss due to transcoding. You'll need to download DMC and install the m4a codec for it; then convert all your m4a files to mp3 and never worry about them again.

Another option is to install a DirectShow filter that will allow you to play the AAC files directly in WMP11 without transcoding. I did this back when I switched from iTunes to WMP10 because I had a few AAC tracks left over, but I don't remember exactly what I used. You can try following the instructions here, but I haven't tested them, so I can't guarantee anything.

Stormweaver

OSNN Junior Addict
I have a huge music library on my PC that, at the moment, is just sitting there. I upgraded to Vista and found that I can't use Musicmatch now. While MM usually ends up with the worst ratings when music players are compared, I've never had a problem with it and enjoyed using all of its features.

So what do I do now? Does anyone know how to make MM work with Vista? All the compatability messages stopped me from trying to install it. I'm not a big iTunes fan, so what should I use? Who has a favorite music player/radio/burner they would recommend?

Bman

OSNN Veteran Original
Actually, unless you bought music from the iTunes Music Store, it's unlikely that DRM is the reason your tracks aren't playing in WMP11. iTMS downloads are copy-protected AAC files (with a .m4p extension), but if these are tracks that you ripped from your CDs using iTunes (and you used the AAC option instead of mp3), then they're just regular AAC files, and will have a .m4a extension.

dbPowerAmp can batch-convert all your m4a files to mp3s for you, although this will result in quality-loss due to transcoding. You'll need to download DMC and install the m4a codec for it; then convert all your m4a files to mp3 and never worry about them again.

Another option is to install a DirectShow filter that will allow you to play the AAC files directly in WMP11 without transcoding. I did this back when I switched from iTunes to WMP10 because I had a few AAC tracks left over, but I don't remember exactly what I used. You can try following the instructions here, but I haven't tested them, so I can't guarantee anything.
Thanks, I guess that's all I can do for now.

*edit...can't use dppoweramp, gives me errors, cause I don't have full version, and blah blah blah..

Last edited:

Bman

OSNN Veteran Original
Not sure if that answers my question...

I was wondering because I was planning on using dppoweramp to convert all my music, mp4 and mp3's to .ogg format.

Bman

OSNN Veteran Original
Well I want all my music to be organized and formated the same, able to work in itunes and wmp, most of them are Mp3...

guess I should just format the few m4ps to mp3, and im not sure about the other mp3 files that wont play in itunes, i shall reencode them too.

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political User
Thanks, I guess that's all I can do for now.

*edit...can't use dppoweramp, gives me errors, cause I don't have full version, and blah blah blah..
The music converter is free. The encoder that is installed with it is trial ware.

And as stated above; You do not want to encode from one format to another, unless is it a lossless to a lossy. Transferring a lossy format to another lossy format, or, transferring it to a lossless format will greatly reduce the quality ...

When I used DMC it was to convert flac and wav files to high grade mp3 ...

vertigo

OSNN Senior Addict
transferring it to a lossless format will greatly reduce the quality
encoding anything to a lossless format will preserve original quality. eg you can encode mp3 to flac, no quality will be lost, but file size will be bigger

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poseeut