Mp3 Details

Tuffgong4

The Donger Need Food!!!!
Political Access
Start with a problem. I have 13 mp3s that don't have the correct timing. My desktop, laptop and zune all show them as being 27 hours long. Obviously they are not. Any software out there to fix them?

I've converted them from .ogg with mediacoder and not sure where they have gone wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Try giving me some details. Is it variable bitrate? Have you tried reencoding it?

Try VBRFix if your DO have a variable bitrate.

don't know what type of ogg, but it was coded into 160 kbps Mp3...I just wantt o have it have the real lengths of the mp3s

I have heard of the same kind of issue.

Did you encode it within Winamp, and if it does it most likely has a variable bitrate. Which from what I read you can't really do much, it was poorly encoded originally or something like that.

From another forum

"I confirm the wrong time display. My ol' but mighty MP3 tagger ID3Master also shows funny track (in most cases longer) lengths for VBR files.

Maybe this ID3master and TC's player (I've seen this in other programs too, but that's quite a while ago) calculate the track length by checking the bitrate of the first few frames, 'project' this estimation onto the whole file and therefore show a wrong result."

don't know what type of ogg, but it was coded into 160 kbps Mp3...I just wantt o have it have the real lengths of the mp3s

Did you rip the audio from a CD? They probably have variable bitrates. If you do your times come up wrong because it calculates from the first bitrate it decodes. If not, your music's header is wrong.
Use MediaInfo to see if it's variable or not.
And using that link I give you, VBRFix. If that doesn't fix it try Foobar2000 it has a built-in fix VBR Header function.
If you ripped and it's not working well try ripping it again, or use a different program.
Or reencode it. <-- Different from converting.

Sometimes Winamp will report incorrect bitrates on files, regardless of how they were encoded. The workaround I've found is to play the song all the way through, then Winamp will update the file automatically.

well every program that I use these files in make it show incorrectly. I will check the original ogg files and see if they show properly. I can't skip through them. When I fast forward they just stay at the same exact time they were at. SkyFuser I will try your idea tomorrow when I have more time.

new problem...I asked my friend to try some of the suggestions out for me since I didn't have time and he's not so bright so he just re converted the ogg files (he gave them to me in the first place) to mp3. This time they work fine on the computer but when transferring to my zune they still show 27 hours for the length of each file.

So now it's narrowed down to my zune that plays them incorrectly and my computer and his play them fine.

Ugghhh

Delete them, ask him what he used to encode them. If he didn't use it; tell him to re-encode them using EAC. Some where it is getting misconformed.

Yes, I mean Exact Audio Copy ....

Last edited:
I converted the files from ogg to mp4 and they work now. No idea how it changed anything but it worked. (I used mediacoder successfully btw)

Thanks all.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back