[Movie Review] Avatar

Avatar is the movie that just interpreted the depths of my soul. Every morning when I get out of my bed and put my feet on the floor, I imagine putting my blue Na'vi foot on the cold wet dirt of Pandora land. When I touch something, I feel ecstacy as I imainge that it is the foilage of the forest. I can smell the track of any animal or human. When ever see someone I fancy, I yell out,"tsahaylu! the bond! the bond!" but they suddenly run away from me. Maybe because they saw that I was naked and painted myself blue. I'm not sure..​

This movie brings me pure joy, but also pure misery because I know that, somewhere deep in my Na'vi heart, I too am a Na'vi. Sometimes I even hear the voices of my ancestors. I even told my ex girlfriend that she couldn't mate with anyone else, because we have made the bond for a lifetime.
Two days later I was getting a notice of a restraining order.
So yes, I recommend this movie, which is actually my lifestyle.​

Looks like someone playing with LSD.

I'm actually thinking that's more along the lines of someone who needs some serious help.... like what someone quoted over in the Guru3D forums on the subject of Avatar....

NN says today that the 3D effects in ‘Avatar’ are so intense that some people go home depressed and even suicidal, because they would rather be living in the world from the movie, on Pandora with the 10-foot cats.

On the fan forum site “Avatar Forums,” a topic thread entitled “Ways to cope with the depression of the dream of Pandora being intangible,” has received more than 1,000 posts from people experiencing depression and fans trying to help them cope.

Some highlights…

- “Ever since I went to see ‘Avatar’ I have been depressed. Watching the wonderful world of Pandora and all the Na’vi made me want to be one of them. I can’t stop thinking about all the things that happened in the film and all of the tears and shivers I got from it. I even contemplate suicide thinking that if I do it I will be rebirthed in a world similar to Pandora and the everything is the same as in ‘Avatar.’ ”

- “When I woke up this morning after watching Avatar for the first time yesterday, the world seemed … gray. It was like my whole life, everything I’ve done and worked for, lost its meaning. It just seems so … meaningless. I still don’t really see any reason to keep … doing things at all. I live in a dying world.”

- “It’s so hard I can’t force myself to think that it’s just a movie, and to get over it, that living like the Na’vi will never happen.”

maryancramer... yes, Avatar is a good movie... Yes, i think it would be nice if it were possible to live on a planet similar to Pandora (since Earth is going down the sh*tter right quick).... but acting like you live there.... even jokingly.... i suggest seeking help.

Yea some people are going crazy over the movie. Crying and freaking out. I think it's a bit much. There is tons of fantasy worlds and technology that we all would love to have. Suck it up, geez.

quite amazing how they filmed it, though. pretty much the only thing that was 100% real were the human's. everything else was either CG, or people enveloped in CG. It was borderline anime. lol

Yes in deed, everything about how it was done is amazing.

I would expect nothing less for something that took 4.5 years to complete.

Funny to me that it took an animated movie for people to "wake up" and notice that we are killing our world and ourselves on a daily basis. Also, if these people truly wanted to live like the Na’vi nothing is stopping them, tribes of people live in uncharted rainforest to this day.

Yea some people are going crazy over the movie. Crying and freaking out. I think it's a bit much. There is tons of fantasy worlds and technology that we all would love to have. Suck it up, geez.

I finally saw this film yesterday and I'm wondering if what I watched is the same as what these people watched, it was a good film with amazing effects but apart from that it was nothing new.

Funny to me that it took an animated movie for people to "wake up" and notice that we are killing our world and ourselves on a daily basis. Also, if these people truly wanted to live like the Na’vi nothing is stopping them, tribes of people live in uncharted rainforest to this day.
You think it had that effect on people? It didn't make me realize anything, and Im a huge fan of the movie? For someone as political as I am, and someone who is as Conservative as I am its amazing that this is my most favorite movie. I could watch it endless times in theaters and I don't take that message away from the movie, since that wasn't really what James Cameron intended to portray (not like Wall-E). All I think the movie did is make people say; "Sure, if I lived on a planet that was connected and totally alive like Pandora, I would side with the Na'vi" which would be the case for me if earth was like Pandora, but... it's not, so there's really nothing to do about our lifestyle on this planet.

I just went and saw this movie today. I was pretty impressed with the 3D, It was subtle enough to not be distracting or feel like a gimmick yet pronounced enough at the right times to be effective at putting you in the world. The story of the film was pretty simplistic, but was entertaining to watch unfold. The overall pacing of the film was great, at no point did things feel rushed.

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned folks leaving the theater depressed and such. It's kinda funny, I actually did kinda feel down in the dumps for an hour or two after I got out of the movie. The feeling passed once I got some lunch, but it's funny that others felt similar.

The Na’vi were basically like Native Americans were. They were very in touch with nature and the environment, respected elders and believed very much in communicating with their ancestors. The only thing missing was them being blue and having one of those crazy tails.

I just went and saw this movie today. I was pretty impressed with the 3D, It was subtle enough to not be distracting or feel like a gimmick yet pronounced enough at the right times to be effective at putting you in the world. The story of the film was pretty simplistic, but was entertaining to watch unfold. The overall pacing of the film was great, at no point did things feel rushed.

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned folks leaving the theater depressed and such. It's kinda funny, I actually did kinda feel down in the dumps for an hour or two after I got out of the movie. The feeling passed once I got some lunch, but it's funny that others felt similar.
When I first saw it on opening day, and left the theater feeling depressed, i hadn't an idea what the hell was going on. Since there was nothing about others experiencing something to that effect. it was a feeling that I couldn't explain that wasn't a tangible depression. It amazes me that people took it so far as to talk about committing suicide to come back as a Na'vi, if you're feeling like that, then you've got an issue.

Well not quite, the tribal people in the rain forests are steadily being either displaced or killed.
I recommend a google on what is happening to the Tribes in the Amazon basin.
The plot of Avatar is right on, they even use a lot of native terms.
Creeguy

Avatar rocked my world. Was awesome. nuff said :)

Personally, movie seemed spot on with how the world would/does react to dealing with people that are not on par with the same military might and have something the more powerful finds of worth. Other then the CGI, the plot can be seen IRL in the world we currently live in, no need for a movie.

Personally, movie seemed spot on with how the world would/does react to dealing with people that are not on par with the same military might and have something the more powerful finds of worth. Other then the CGI, the plot can be seen IRL in the world we currently live in, no need for a movie.

Actually the movie worked very well for Native North Americans, the blue people were treated a savages when they had their own beliefs and culture.
The plot could have been taken right from the History of United States and Canada.
The only thing the Military/Corporate structure missed was biological warfare like the colonial powers used on us.
Hopefully something has been learned from history and this movie.
Creeguy

Avatar is the movie that just interpreted the depths of my soul. Every morning when I get out of my bed and put my feet on the floor, I imagine putting my blue Na'vi foot on the cold wet dirt of Pandora land. When I touch something, I feel ecstacy as I imainge that it is the foilage of the forest. I can smell the track of any animal or human. When ever see someone I fancy, I yell out,"tsahaylu! the bond! the bond!" but they suddenly run away from me. Maybe because they saw that I was naked and painted myself blue. I'm not sure..​

This movie brings me pure joy, but also pure misery because I know that, somewhere deep in my Na'vi heart, I too am a Na'vi. Sometimes I even hear the voices of my ancestors. I even told my ex girlfriend that she couldn't mate with anyone else, because we have made the bond for a lifetime.
Two days later I was getting a notice of a restraining order.
So yes, I recommend this movie, which is actually my lifestyle.​
lol nice. Saving this copypasta for the future.

Also,
Jake Sully = John Smith

tell you how powerful this movie was, I do not remember another movie that inspired readers to join the site so they could weigh in

that's a powerful movie to be sure

Yeah you are right, I was one of them.
I have been asked by a local cine production group to do a review for their newsletter.
I think to do it right I should view it again,
Yes I noticed the people who exited the Cinema were sort of stunned is the word I would use.
Whoever put the language together was influenced by Native people of the Americas, not the words used but the meanings.
Creeguy

Actually the movie worked very well for Native North Americans, the blue people were treated a savages when they had their own beliefs and culture.
The plot could have been taken right from the History of United States and Canada.
The only thing the Military/Corporate structure missed was biological warfare like the colonial powers used on us.
Hopefully something has been learned from history and this movie.
Creeguy
Exactly. :)

Still can't believe so many people are stunned by this movie, remove the pretty colors of the CGI and it's the world we live in now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back