Move i386 folder ->c-drive--no need xp cd?

X

xpmania

I think I remember reading somewhere that if you moved some folder (i386?) from the XP CD to your hard drive, that you would not need to insert the CD anymore. That's convenient for notebook users. How do you do it? Is it the i386 folder? And where do you copy it?

Hi xpmania,
you are correct, it is the I386 folder. Copy the folder to anywhere you want on your hard-drive, preferably but not essentially another partition. Then open up your registry and go here:-
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

In the right-side you will see "SourcePath", double-click it and add the address of the I386 folder you placed on your hard-drive.

Then just click "OK"

thanks! =)

Thanks! =) I've been looking all over for a response. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Just a question, in my sourcepath it lists D: do I add the address of my I386 path after that? or do I completely erase the source path data and just put the address of the I386 in there by itself?

If your new source path doesn't include D: then don't use it.
I assume you have the one hard-drive with the one partition called C:
The path should start with C:
Here's an example:-
C:\WINDOWS\NewFolder\I386

I wouldn't put it directly on C: as in this example:-
C:\I386

Well, I tried the above using C:\I386 in the source path in regedt32 and ran the winnt32.exe in the folder and still came up with the same screen!
Also, How do I get rid of the winows xp professional setup choice upon first boot? It automatically defaults to that if you don't make the windows 2000 selection and goes through to the blue screen of please insert windows xp professional cd..
any other tips?

You would need to re-boot for the registry settings to take effect.
To remove the "Windows setup" you will have to edit the "Boot.ini" file on C:

Yeah, I tried rebooting the same thing still. What else could be stopping this install?

What are you trying to install?

Copying the I386 directory to your harddrive will certainly save your trying to find your XP cd everytime you install something that requires the XP setup files located in the I386 directory. You can't install XP by moving the I386 directory and then running winnt32.exe from within XP. Are you trying to install XP or some other hardware or software which requires the XP cd?

Wrath

No, I'm trying to install the actual XP upgrade over windows 98 2nd edition.

OK then...

OK then....

Why can't you just install XP from the CD? If you can't boot to the cd and run the install normally, try this. Make a win98 boot cd and copy smartdrv.exe to it. Smartdrv helps speed the installation process considerably. Boot to the floppy, choose "start computer with CD ROM support" and then type smartdrv.exe at the DOS prompt. Then change to the I386 directory on your XP CDROM, then type WINNT.exe, NOT winnt32.exe. You should have no problems installing it that way.

Hope that helps....

Wrath

Win98 boot floppy, I meant

make a Win98 boot floppy, I meant to say. Not a boot CD. It's early and I have'nt had any coffee yet.

:cool:

Wrath

Well, I just received a better windows XP CD-rom from my corporate office..and it's installing just fine.
thanks you guy's for the input!

I appreciate it!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back