more cpu power

S

sadsonic

Hi,
I own a soltek 75-kav and a 1.4 Athlon. I have tried optimizing it to 1470mhz, but when I do, I cant start window, it says that I have a corupted ntdlr.exe (Im not sure, if thats acctually the file)

Is it possible to optimize the cpu before a clean installation,, and then get it to work ??

plz. let me know

sadsonic

yes..sorry.. I tried re-installing windows with 147mhz instead of 133..but then it kept installing only the first part ... windows xp's installation really sucks ...

setting your fsb to 147 is a bit excessive. realize that this setting affects your memory, pci cards, agp video card, and other things.

set it back to 140 or whatever you can safely get away with and look into 'unlocking' your athlon and changing it's multiplier. it's 10.5 right now and you could put it up to maybe 12 and get 1.68hz (12*140=1680).

info on doing that is here. good luck. }:>

Hi,
thx. for the link.. But I cant seem to make anything out of it ... the link describes a video ...but theres no link to this video nor a guide... I tried to look around...Is it just me ..or is it the wrong link ??

;- Sadsonic

hi,

i also have a question regarding the same thing. i am also using a athlon 1400 Mhz and a Asus A7A266 mobo and yeah i have actually overclocked it to about 1560 Mhz. Currently it is pretty stable... eventhough with some stuff up with the OS not sure... but internet explorer crashes once in a while other than that i guess its ok.

my question is... do you think the cause of the internet explorer crash is due to the overclocking? b4 when it was 1400 Mhz it didnt crash but i dont see the connection... another thing. i think my temp for my CPU maybe abit high. look at this picture i took from Asus Probe. it may not be very accurate but i take it as a reference...

advice pls.

sorry cant seem to post the pic...
could u guys see the pic?

anyway the temp is about 50 degrees..

abit too high isnt it?

Originally posted by sconn
sorry cant seem to post the pic...
could u guys see the pic?

anyway the temp is about 50 degrees..

abit too high isnt it?
With that OC 50C is pretty low. And yes the problem with crashing is most likely due to the OC.

yeah, this link will let you download the video, sadsonic. you don't have to do it exactly the way they did, but it gives you a real good idea of what has to be accomplished.

and, sconn... i'm assuming you haven't unlocked the multiplier on your athlon, either..? in which case, you fsb would be set to about 148mhz to achive that speed... which is bound to cause problems! look into that link above if you want more speed and stability out of your athlon. }:>

oh, and zedric... 50° C is a bit high but i've heard of people getting away with a lot more. i like to keep mine under 45°. if it is overheating, it would do it mostly during games, though... not web-browsing.

doin the phsyical overclocking is abit scary.. what if u made a mistake? what would happen?

not sure. but it's simple to clean up any mistakes and start over. i ordered a kit with all the supplies i'd need (like $11 usd), but all i ended up using was the conductive grease and the point of a needle. i put miniscule dabs of the stuff in between the L1 bridges to connect them under a magnifying glass. if i messed up, i'd just wipe off whatever i had on there and start over. pretty simple, i guarantee. and it's free speed!. no, not drugs. }:>

wish i did it 2½ years ago when i got that processor.

ok.. i am using a Asus A7A266. i was just looking through the manual and i saw this cpu clock multiplier on the mainboard. it changes the cpu clock multiplier through the DIP switches.

is changin the cplu clock multiplier the same as unlocking the Athlon processor?

and i checked my processor.. the L1 bridges are all closed.

Originally posted by taurus
oh, and zedric... 50° C is a bit high but i've heard of people getting away with a lot more. i like to keep mine under 45°. if it is overheating, it would do it mostly during games, though... not web-browsing.
Ah during browsing, ok. My P4 1.7 has about 50° after a few hours playing. And 49° case temperature... Damn I've got to get a case fan! ;)

Talked to this guy once who asked me if 70° case temperature was too high. "70°?!?" I exclaimed, "You must burn yourself just touching it". "I do", he said. Now that's too hot! :)

Originally posted by sconn
is changin the cplu clock multiplier the same as unlocking the Athlon processor?

if the L1 bridges aren't connected, then trying to change the multiplier in the bios (or in your case with dip switches) won't yield any results. once you connect those bridges, then you can set it to whatever you want.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back