Microsoft Messenger:Mac v5.0

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
Looks like Microsoft are poised to release v5.0 of MSNM for the Mac.

Only some of the international sites have been updated: http://www.microsoft.com/nz/mac/messenger/default.aspx being first of course. Therefore the download isn't yet available, however it has been announced, so it's just a matter of time (however long that may be) before the file pops up on Microsoft's server.

Amongst all it's fancy new features though, it still doesn't support video, I'd personally recommend aMSN for that, 0.95 Beta I is working very nicely :)

Yeah, I was looking at the press release this morning. Looks like the Mac version is getting closer to Office Communicator than the Windows version. If you're on a corporate network connected to a Live Communications Server, you can interop with AIM/iChat and Yahoo. :)

Seems a waste of time for "home" users really. Just looking at the product pages you can tell it's targeted at corporate users more than anyone else.

I'll still give it a trial run anyway though :)

...if they ever publish the bloody download link!

Yeah, definitely looks like it.
Would be really neat if they supported interop with other IM networks without LCS. :)

Well the main microsoft.com/mac/ page has updated to reflect the release, however the download link doesn't work.

Damned be whoever is responsible for this shoddy updating! :p

SPeedY_B said:
Well the main microsoft.com/mac/ page has updated to reflect the release, however the download link doesn't work.

Damned be whoever is responsible for this shoddy updating! :p

It does except for the 10.3 and above link

*w00t* 800th post!

kcnychief said:
It does except for the 10.3 and above link

*w00t* 800th post!
Ehm... that's the link for MSNM 5.0. The one we're after.

and:
attachment.php

SPeedY_B said:
Ehm... that's the link for MSNM 5.0. The one we're after.

and:
attachment.php

lol, i've seen that so many times and I forgot :eek:

EDIT: Oh, yah, sorry about the D/L link, I'm tired today as always

*little dance*

Seems the download link has now gone active :p

Man you beat me by a few minutes, I kept trying to refresh so I could beat you to it :)

I dont know if I can be bothered with it, i am now using Proteus instead.

But doesn't proteus smell of horse rear?

Not a fan of all-in-one type clients myself. :p

I quite like it, I can transfer files via MSN, something the Mac MSN client (v4 anyway) was never capable of doing, I can view display pictures, I dont know if I can have one myself, I havent asked people if they can see one for me. I can set my display name (something Adium couldnt do) though in chats it still shows me as 'Geoffrey' and not what my display name is, but other people do get it. I love the way it keeps more than one chat in a single window, this is what the drawer was invented for. It looks nicer than Mac MSN, even the new v5 one, which still crashed within 3 minutes of starting it up, trying again it still seemed to suffer from the 'i-am-just-going-to-drop-the-connection-for-no-f*ckin-reason-hahahaha' bug which Proteus doesnt, in fact it handles the whole sleep and awake from sleep concept much better than Mac MSN.

I dont actually use it for anything other than MSN, well, I have my AIM login on that, but I only have one contact on AIM, and I would add my Jabber, but I cant remember what my jabber username is :p

</rant> :D

Last edited:
I must say. Mac Messenger is sexy.

MSN Messenger is homo. Windows Messenger is basic (but way better than MSNM).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back