Microsoft announces Xbox 360 pricing!

Hmmm, so only the 399 price gets the silver membership? Is that a lifetime silver membership?

I wonder if we can get a 400 gig HD and slap it into the 360 instead of settling for a measly 20 gigs. I have 300 gigs on my Xbox now and it's barely enough to load games in. I wonder how long it'll take for modders to get out first generation 360 mod chips.

"Xbox Live has also been upgraded for the new console, with two new different versions available: Xbox Live Silver and Gold. The silver version will come as standard with all Xbox 360 consoles and gives you access to all basic services, including the Gamer Guide--an entertainment gateway with a personalized interface that instantly connects you to your games, friends, music, movies, and downloadable content. You can also use voice chat whenever you want, essentially acting like a free telephone call online. To actually play a game online though you’ll have to pay for an Xbox Live Gold account, which also adds video chat to your list of options and also lets you enter multiplayer online tournaments, including celebrity gaming sessions and contests"

I see on a few other forums that people are complaining about the HD being external etc, but i guess its just a marketinig tactic as well....next year you will be able to buy larger HD's

I really want one and don't quite know why, perhaps it is because the built in media center works just as well as the real one and the fact you can turn it on an off with the remote this time (no it is a big deal!), I don't really intend to play any games on it but I guess I will have to end up doing so!

vern said:
Hmmm, so only the 399 price gets the silver membership? Is that a lifetime silver membership?

Silver membership is free and will entitle you to play online etc. The new gold will be like current xbox live membership and all current members will get upgraded, will entitle you to the marketplace, downloads etc.

vern said:
I wonder if we can get a 400 gig HD and slap it into the 360 instead of settling for a measly 20 gigs. I have 300 gigs on my Xbox now and it's barely enough to load games in. I wonder how long it'll take for modders to get out first generation 360 mod chips.

Mod chips are inevitable, I don't know the specs of the HDD that will come with it, just not looked.

lad_in_brum said:
I see on a few other forums that people are complaining about the HD being external etc, but i guess its just a marketinig tactic as well....next year you will be able to buy larger HD's

Perhaps, but it will clip in nicely and as we have seen is an optional extra.

ps I touched one. hahah.

xbox360core.jpg

xbox360package.jpg

just came back from SAMS club to do some bulk shopping. I went over to the electronics area. and wooohooooo pre order 360 slips...well...I had to do it.:D

:ninja: < awaits for November date in gleee.....:)

tdinc said:
wooohooooo pre order 360 slips...well...I had to do it.:D
Just out of curiosity how much you have to put down for the pre-order?

I put down $100 using my Sams business credit card, The sales person that was there told me that not All SAMS Clubs have offered the pre-order. Chicago and califorina, Michigan she said were the only states that she knows of that offer this random earily selection. She said the website will offer it in a couple of weeks..

Here's my copy pasted comment I've been posting for this piece of news everywhere:

That pretty much gurantees that the PS3 will sell for $399 as well. Actually I’d be surprised if they put it at $299.

However I hate how they mislead us in the beginning by making it seem as if wireless controllers would be standard. And then they made it seem as if the Harddrive was going to be standard.

With those two things I am dissapointed. Wireless controllers because, well wireless is so much more convenient. Second, splitting the 360 into two segments is just a bad idea. The Xbox having an HD standard was such a huge selling point it had.

Ah well, you can’t have everything. I’ll still pick it up, not sure if I will on launch date this time around however :)

Grandmaster said:
That pretty much gurantees that the PS3 will sell for $399 as well. Actually I’d be surprised if they put it at $299.

However I hate how they mislead us in the beginning by making it seem as if wireless controllers would be standard. And then they made it seem as if the Harddrive was going to be standard.

With those two things I am dissapointed. Wireless controllers because, well wireless is so much more convenient. Second, splitting the 360 into two segments is just a bad idea. The Xbox having an HD standard was such a huge selling point it had.
Yeah I think Sony would have to come really close if not match MS now, meaning they might be losing a bit more $ then first expecting (as Sony has stated alread the PS3 is going to cost "alot"). This is also surely a guarantee the Revolution will be ~$199. I also agree it's going to cause both confusion as well as some resentment that MS is starting with 2 versions of the 360 right out of the gate (I've heard a possible 3rd version later). They are deviding their market from the beginging which could be rather interesting.

Electronic Punk said:
Silver membership is free and will entitle you to play online etc. The new gold will be like current xbox live membership and all current members will get upgraded, will entitle you to the marketplace, downloads etc.

To my understanding, I don't think Silver gets you anything but membership that makes the Media Center part of the package to work as it should.

This is the paragraph from the article which pretty much says it ... keywords being "WILL ALSO".

With its built-in Ethernet port and free Silver level of service right out of the box, Xbox 360 also connects players to Xbox Live, the premier global online console games and entertainment network. With Xbox Live, gamers can chat with friends online, build and share gamer profiles, send and receive text and voice messages, and access Xbox Live Marketplace for new content such as game demos, trailers and casual games from Xbox Live Arcade. Subscribers to the Gold level of service will also enjoy access to online multiplayer gaming in their favorite games, as well as great promotional programs such as worldwide tournaments, the chance to play online with their favorite celebrities, and opportunities to win big prizes.

... that pretty much makes it useless for Live gamers where the media center features come second to online gaming.

^

Yeah, those brochures pretty much say the same thing ... that Silver will not get you multiplayer, just the community experience.

Anyone else think that PC gaming and console gaming are getting more and more alike? I mean now that this 360 is customizable from memory to shell casing, it seems like we will be able to pick our own preloaded software and stuff like that. I dont kno alot about technical details but it seems like PC and consoles will be one in the same soon.

MS and Sony seem to want their consoles to dominate the living room and do more things than just play games, the functionality is getting to be more PC like. I do believe however that consoles will always emphasize gaming. Nintendo has come out and said themselve ... gaming first. MS and Sony should be careful not to alienate the very crowd they were selling their product to when they started out.

any ideas on the actual release date yet?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back