MBR and/or ntldr and MFT screwed...

dreamliner77

The Analog Kid
Well, I went and did something dumb on my recording studio pc (no net connection). I had a 10 GB backup partition that I needed to merge with C:/. So I fired up Partition Magic but that was having issues so I used Paragon Partition Manager.

Applied the changes to merge C and D. Rebooted and the changes where applied and then the dreaded ntldr is missing error message appears. I tried to using recovery console fixmbr and fixboot and neither would work. I can't even read the dir of C: I get an enumeration error. I tried copying ntldr and ntdetect.com to C: and that didn't work either. I tried an repair install but a valid installation is not detected.

I do have an OLD image that I could restore...

Any suggestions?

_kC_

OSNN Senior Addict
is an error of the MFT on ntfs systems.... pretty easy fix
in recovery console do
1. chkdsk /r (chkdsk is optional but i recomend you do it first)
2. copy x:/i386/ntldr c:
3. copy x:i386/ntdetect.com c:
4. fixboot
5. fixmbr
6. exit

on lines 2 & 3 x = your cdrom letter
if after that it comes up with a hal.dll missing, then your probably easier doing a repair instal/in place upgrade of windows

dreamliner77

The Analog Kid
None of the above commands work. Chkdsk says there is an unrecoverable error. Copy appears to work but just reboots and hangs again, the Fix commands return an error.

I am almost certain it is a file table problem and not a hardware problem. I do get the hal.dll error when using the boot disc from http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm

I can't do a repair install because the original installation is not found

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey ep!

All good with me, applying for microsoft mvp right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by comming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier, mine is perriscalderon at gmail
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adreinrich