• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 opinions

Has anyone had experiences with the Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 series? I'm looking at the 200Gb drive and just wondered if it was any good??

If not what advice could you give? i'm looking at about 120-200GB range

I also looked at the IBM Deskstar or WD Caviar.

What are they like for heating problems and other performance issues?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

ming

OSNN Advanced
I saw in Computer Shopper that the Hitachi 160G came top out of 10 HD's on the test. It was also 2nd or 3rd cheapest in cost per GB. I can't remember the full details, but you can check out the Dec issue of the magazine.

Not sure if the Hitachi HD is the same as the IBM ones since they've linked up to manufacture HDs now. But I can tell you than IBM HDs are quieter than any other HDs.

R

RogerPhillis

The Diamond Max 9 120 Gb SATA drive is particularly quiet due to a fluid type bearing drive mechanism.
Dont think this is present in in the ATA version.
THE 40 Gb Maxtor ATA I have is not quiet in comparison !

Gigabyte G7VAXP Ultra mobo
AMD 2800 Barton Processor
1024 Mb Samsung DDR400 Ram
Creative 5.1 Sound
Radeon 9200SE
120Gb Maxtor SATA Drive
40Gb Maxtor ATA Drive (external via USB2)
Epson Ink jet & HP Laserjet printers
HP Scanjet 3400C
Smart Media Card reader

Thanks guys. i was more concerned with over heating and failure rate. I read a few reviews saying that IBM have had a bad history of failures with certain models. I also saw that the IBM hard drives can heat up.

Can anyone confirm/ correct me on this???

Taurus

hardware monkey
Originally posted by dude
Thanks guys. i was more concerned with over heating and failure rate. I read a few reviews saying that IBM have had a bad history of failures with certain models. I also saw that the IBM hard drives can heat up.

Can anyone confirm/ correct me on this???
the old ones like zedric said (60gxp, 75gxp). but all the newer ones (120gxp, 180gxp, etc) are all good performers with no more reliablity problems than anyone else.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies