!!!!Mars Rover Breaks Down!!!!

Here is how I look at it, instead of going for a silly goal like that, why aren't we putting that money into useful things, like medical research, or solving world hunger (which it could) or worthwhile things like that??

It's because no one in America cares if Africans have food, so it doesn't get votes for the leader...

Goatman said:
Here is how I look at it, instead of going for a silly goal like that, why aren't we putting that money into useful things, like medical research, or solving world hunger (which it could) or worthwhile things like that??

It's because no one in America cares if Africans have food, so it doesn't get votes for the leader...

Please dont turn this into an "americans are douchebags" flame, after all, if you characterize every american by the actions of its government, which despite the democratic label, is really difficult to waiver, you are as stupid as you claim the americans are... the honest truth is we as a species are more curious and competative than we are sympathetic. Despite whatever anyone says about helping here and there... the honest truth is that deep within the intertwined synapse and ceaseless chemical communications of our brains, we would rather pump billions of bucks into being the first to discover something new, rather than attempt to cure problems that have existed since before we even developed into the "human" title

Goatman said:

Sadly the only way to solve world hunger is to stop making new humans :) It has been shown time and time again as supply increases the population almost doubles ... we will destroy the earth and any place else we can live before we "solve" world hunger ...

Also a few before reading this post I read the article here on CNN first :)

oh and sorry about the rant above ... I'm really into this book "Ishmael" ... its so true and talks about the way we see the world and the way it actually is. we are takers :/

mud, mud, mud, mud!! please mud be there! if mud exists, in 50 years, im buying a retirement home on Mars.

I do hope they regain communication with the rover, it is indeed a really cool project, and I thought the high resolution images were amazing.

Goatman said:

I made the same argument earlier in this thread, and I am American, which leads me to my next point...

Making such sweeping generalizations will make your opinions nearly worthless to most anyone reading this thread. A year ago, President Bush made a point of aiding Africa in its AIDS crisis during his State of the Union Address. He was the first president to address that issue.

By the way, what are you doing to help solve the hunger problem in Africa? :rolleyes:

Sorry for the rant... back on topic...

Discussion of this mission has made me curious as to what people believe exists on Mars, etc. I think I will post a poll of sorts sometime soon. :)

TheBlueRaja said:
Look at it this way Muzikool, if people had said that a few hundred years ago, Columbus would never have discovered America, you would never have existed and we all would be convinced that if we left the shore and headed east we would fall off the planet.

Read the article at the link, it explains it there...

columbus never discovered america... he never set foot on the mainland :)

and neither was he the first human being here either...

his place in history is vastly over-stated... though his voyage should not be overlooked...

Sazar said:
columbus never discovered america... he never set foot on the mainland :)

and neither was he the first human being here either...

his place in history is vastly over-stated... though his voyage should not be overlooked...

Good point that didn't even come to mind. How is it that someone can "discover" a place when there are already people living there? The whole concept blows my mind. :confused:

For all practical purposes Columbus discovered america. He wasnt the first human there for sure, but his voyage put the country on the map and thats what counts.

Dont discount the benefits of space research either. You would be amazed at the technological side benefits and spinoffs which result.

leedogg said:
Dont discount the benefits of space research either. You would be amazed at the technological side benefits and spinoffs which result.

I'll be waiting longer for some results before I discount the potential benefits, but things aren't looking too great so far.

leedogg said:
For all practical purposes Columbus discovered america. He wasnt the first human there for sure, but his voyage put the country on the map and thats what counts.

I fail to understand how not setting foot on a place makes that person the discoverer of it ?

he never set foot on american soil (ie north american soil)

closest he came was the bahamas but he is never called the discoverer of the bahamas or cuba or central or south america which he DID land on and which he DID chart... :confused:

as to the benefits of space research... I am a big fan... if only the bureacrats would get out of the way of research... bush's plans to land on the moon and mars are going to cut short a lot of other programmes :(

Columbus never Discovered anything, he accidentally ran into it. And he thought the Caribbean (where he hit land) was ASIA. Talk about crappy navigation.

Columbus, who never abandoned the belief that he had reached Asia, led three more expeditions to the Caribbean.
(http://www.ibiblio.org/expo/1492.exhibit/c-Columbus/columbus.html)

My ancestors discovered it or actually live here before any european ever set foot on it.

And as for putting this continent on the map... who's to say it would not have been put on the map by us. Hmmmmm

You'll luv this link...
(http://www.indians.org/welker/columbu1.htm)

Well ask yourself this. If Columbus hadnt made his voyage, would America have been 'discovered' when it did? Or would it have remained a completely seperate and unknown entity for another decade or so?

leedogg said:
Well ask yourself this. If Columbus hadnt made his voyage, would America have been 'discovered' when it did? Or would it have remained a completely seperate and unknown entity for another decade or so?

It would have been better if it hadn't been "discovered" for a while. This way Europe would have either imploaded or staightened out it's crap on it's own, instead of it spilling onto this continent.

Orrrr, we would have "discovered" Europe. We would have seen how Europe was and then left. :p

leedogg said:

he didn;t discover squat m8... I am never going to give him credit for 'discovering' a land that already has people...

now were you to talk about being responsible for the creation of major trade routes and what not between the americas and europe... yes he was a large reason for that... but not for the discovery of america...

if you can somehow convince me that one is able to discover something that has been found and inhabited by other peoples for several hundreds of years I may be inclined to go along with your point...

Can someone telll just how long it took them to get those 2 ships from earth to the martian orbit? i read someplace that it was only a 1yr flight.. If we only Warp engines ALA capt.Kirk we could be there in minutes... and while i'm on the subject how about those needles Mckoy used to give when you would pass out.. they didn't have cancer or anything... it was amazing... i hope the world comes to that one day for real.... what an amazing thing that would be..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back