MacBook Pro C2D Released...

melon

MS-DOS 2.0
Political Access
The MacBook Pro has finally been upgraded to Intel Core 2 Duo.

A 2.16GHz or 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Up to 39% faster than its predecessor. A built-in iSight for instant video conferencing on the move. Front Row with Apple Remote to dazzle everyone in the room. Now available in 15- and 17-inch models starting at just $1999. Start your engines.

Well, whatever. It's really a marginal update, but, most importantly, I refused to spend nearly $3000 on a 32-bit computer. Now I'm in 64-bit bliss. :)

Melon

You do realise that the advantages of 64 over 32 are precisely.... nil ?

Nil...until all the good software released is 64-bit only.

And, yes, I realize that that may never be an issue for the lifetime of this computer I'm getting, but even 64-bit Vista is going to have features that are not going to be available for 32-bit Vista. And who knows what the next 2-5 years are going to have.

So why would I want to buy a 32-bit computer when I can buy a 64-bit computer that's fully 32-bit compatible?

That's my philosophy. Whether you agree with it or not is up to you.

Melon

I agree that if it's available, then there's no harm in buying a 64bit machine, and of course, as you mention it is 32bit compatible. I just see no point at present, or even a few years time, purchasing a machine because it's 64bit. In my eyes the advantages of the Core2 over the plain Core are the larger L2 cache and improved battery life, I don't even view it as being 64bit.

My experience with 64bit has been tainted, using Ubuntu, the network drivers completely failed to load, thus leaving the machine net-less until I installed the standard version, and again with Vista, I felt it to be a complete waste of time, as there is a rather dire lack of support for drivers etc when using a 64bit operating system.

The reason I was waiting for the Core 2 Duo was the reason for battery life, and the fact that since it uses less power it should get less hot!

as for 64 bit operating systems? Solaris or HPUX. My room mate has a 64 bit machine that is 32 bit compatible, supposedly, and when it tries to do certain things under 32 bit it fails, if it tries to do some stuff under 64 bit it fails. It fails to boot FreeBSD, which to me is a huge failure, since FreeBSD is VERY stable when run on standard 32 bit machines.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back