Mac Pro Vs Imac For Video Editing

lancer

There is no answer!
Political Access
Ok i am a complete noob when it comes down to the mac world.

I am thinking of transitioning from PC editing with Premiere Pro to Mac Editing with Final Cut Pro.

But i need help in deciding which mac i should get, the dvds are roughly 4 hours long and require a lot of editing, sound, trailers etc.. the usual.

I'll have storage on a linux server or possibly my very own raid server, so storage isn't really that much of an issue. But render times, thats a huge issue, it needs to be fast.

Would an Imac suffice or do i absoluetly need a Mac Pro?

Currantly i am editing on a quad core and a dual core pc, and to honest render times are rougly the same on both, i think its a premiere pro limitation.

Thanks fo the help.

Last edited:
An iMac will do the job, but if there was ever a reason to get the Mac Pro then this is one of them. If you can afford it then I'd go with the Mac Pro.

so the imac really will do the job? if so i'll just go with that instead then as it'll just be an editing machine and nothing else.

I've never done any video editing but I wonder if there is a way you could try this out with a demo in the Apple store? Maybe just some random video to mess with (nothing of value of course) and just see how each handles it.

Definitely sounds like a good idea to me, that is what the units are in store for. I'm sure the staff would be very helpful if you explained your needs.

Also barefeats.com has a lot of Mac based benchmarks which should give a good idea of the various performances available for your cash :)

Yea not for Professional business...but with an Intel C2D and the new kernels...i have updated from 10.5.1 to 10.5.2 without any issue...But back to subject, the imac is sweet, in class we have the new imacs and we are getting new mac pros soon...Great machines!

Yea not for Professional business...but with an Intel C2D and the new kernels...i have updated from 10.5.1 to 10.5.2 without any issue...But back to subject, the imac is sweet, in class we have the new imacs and we are getting new mac pros soon...Great machines!

what class it that you are talking about

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back