Mac OS on a PC...Possible?

melon

MS-DOS 2.0
Political Access
After seeing Linux being run on a Mac, and discovering that Windows can be run on one too with Connectix Virtual PC, I'm wondering if the technology has come to allow one to use a Mac OS on a PC? How cool if, someday, we could be able to run a dual-boot of Windows XP and OS X...or, even better, Windows XP, Linux, and OS X. ;)

Anyhow, I'm guessing that it isn't...yet...but I thought I'd ask anyway. :)

Melon

Sorry! Due to the fact that Mac OS operating systems only run on PowerPC hardware (Not x86). And for the same reason the other way around, Windows only runs on x86 hardware. But a dual boot with linux is possible

You can only run windows on a mac via emulation, you can run mac os (only up to v8) in windows via emulation to.

But as far as running Mac OS on actual PC (x86) hardware, it's never gonna happen. The linux builds that run on mac are custom compiled to run on PPC architecture, just as linux for PCs is compiled to run on x86 :)

Originally posted by SPeedY_B
You can only run windows on a mac via emulation, you can run mac os (only up to v8) in windows via emulation to.

But as far as running Mac OS on actual PC (x86) hardware, it's never gonna happen. The linux builds that run on mac are custom compiled to run on PPC architecture, just as linux for PCs is compiled to run on x86 :)

I saw an article about a mac running on an x86 system, and Apple is working on a OSX for x86 - They are doing it to compete with windows, OSX is supposed to be the second best OS out there - after all it is unix based, so why could'nt it run on a x86 ? just using the hardware it uses makes it to damn expensive, and making it availible for x86 will give them more of an edge to compete .. By the way they are making it optimized with AMD

It'll never happen, as you say, apple hardware is expensive, hence they are making profit from it, a LOT of profit. If they retail an o/s that will run on a £300 machine, compared to a £900 apple computer, then they're going to gain an o/s sale, but lose out on a large profit from a machine sale.

And it runs on a variant of FreeBSD called Darwin, which HAS been ported to x86 and it freely available, but is nothing more than a command line UNIX.

would cost a lot and crash a lot more initially... mac OS I mean... :(

it may look pretty but from the sound of it... longhorn is gonna make mac's o/s's look like 2 bit ho's on crack... :D

And if you get Linux and find a OS X mocking desktop enviroment, everything will be correct

Originally posted by ViperSnake
And if you get Linux and find a OS X mocking desktop enviroment, everything will be correct

There's a lot more to the Mac OS than the pretty front-end :rolleyes:
Besides, OS X doesn't have a Linux backbone. It uses Darwin, which is BSD.

What I ment was, Get FreeBSD and look for a graphical enviroment or a skin for one that looks like Aqua

Or not.

Apple OS X is much more than just a gui. It's not just the Aqua GUI and/or the BSD backend that makes it what it is. Mac OS is made up of the apps that it comes with such as iTunes, the way in which the finder works, the single button mouse and none-windows keyboard, and how these both interact with the operating system.

But we're not talking about themes, we're talking about the o/s itself.

numpty :)

i have never used MacOS, basically because Macs arent as accessible as x86 machines. I would like to try it, as i'm always open to new things and i have heard good things about the applications included as SPeedY_B mentioned, but also the way it all comes together.

just gotta wait for a friend *nudges SPeedY_B* to get a mac so i can have a looky :)

You know that I had one for like 28 hours, you missed your chance :p

in my mind macs are great. they have a great OS and great hardware design. they are powerfull and almost smart but the only killer on a mac is the fact that they are expencive. i use them at wrok for video editing and media. but becase of the price i stick with a pc.

and yea also the mac os it made just for the mac chips, and chipsets nad all that, it is too specific to go on anything else. unlike windows

Macs are great and all, but I stick to what I need, which is on a PC.

I find this thread amusing. As much as people complain about Billy Gates and Microsoft, then you've MAc, who wont even let you run their OS without THEIR hardware. Just imagine if M$ made you buy a 4000$ setup and only available from them to run their software. I believe Apple has the market share that they do strictly because of this fact. I mean $700 for a 17" LCD, thats just plain evil.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back