Looking for a good Digital Camera and Video Camera

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
Most of you know by now I have a baby boy on the way. Looking to get a nice digital camera that is small and takes good pictures. Something in the line of Canon Powershot SD line is good for size.

Also want a camcorder that can go to DVD - thought about getting an all in one camera, but I assume the size requirement wouldn't be met.

Budget isn't too crazy, just want good quality and a durable device.

Any personal recommendations?

I got my wife a Canon Rebel XTI Slr digital camera for mothers day - $1200.00 for everything I got with it. And, I got her a JVC 30 gig HD Digital Video for the heck of it - $799.00 ....

They are both pretty good. The canon takes great pics. Of course, now, she wants me to get her a Canon D40. Sheesh ....

We have a canon SD100 and another SD model in our house and I have to say they are VERY well built cameras, All metal bodies and solid buttons. Picture quality for the size is really good as well. I'd say you are on track with the SD Powershot line. :) If not that, then I'd look at some Panasonic cameras with Lumix lenses.

I got my wife a Canon Rebel XTI Slr digital camera for mothers day - $1200.00 for everything I got with it. And, I got her a JVC 30 gig HD Digital Video for the heck of it - $799.00 ....

They are both pretty good. The canon takes great pics. Of course, now, she wants me to get her a Canon D40. Sheesh ....
Those are probably a little out of my price range, but I'll give them a look nonetheless.

For a digital camera, I'd go with a Canon PowerShot A5XX like a 570 or 590. with IS. It's a great little camera, lots of features.

Otherwise, go with a Kodak for sheer ease of use.

Being a semi pro photographer.. If you want a really good digital camera under 1000.00 go for the Nikon D40 with 18-55 and 55-200 lens. It will cost somewhere around 450-600.00 Should be all the camera you will ever need.
If you want something to build on.. get the new Nikon D90.

Nikon D40 = Price [SIZE=-4]inc[/SIZE][SIZE=-4] VAT[/SIZE] £289.00 - not bad (only 18-55mm lens though)
Price [SIZE=-4]inc[/SIZE][SIZE=-4] VAT[/SIZE] £419.00 = with 18-55 and 55-200 lens - bit steep though
D90 = Price [SIZE=-4]inc[/SIZE][SIZE=-4] VAT[/SIZE] £799.99- thats just obscene!!!!!

mind you if it does raw format (nef) i might look into that

edit: after looking it doesnt seem to support raw :( D60 does though - whats your thoughts on that ?

mm.. maybe the d40 w/o lens is a good option, then get a better one

you can get the D40 a little cheaper with lens options if you look around a bit. maybe ebay.
it does support raw btw.
The kit lens 18-55 is actually a pretty sharp piece of glass. You really can't go wrong with it.
Depending on what you are going to use it for... you could get body only and then get a 18-105mm kit lens. 18-200 is pretty basic though. gives you wide plus reach.

I actually have the D40, plus a D300. and about 15 lenses.. so I blew the 700.00 mark a long time ago :)

Last edited:
Canon handles raw format pretty well also. They are also rated better than the nikon. Although they are both very good cameras.

Umm, not sure if anyone noticed but he said a camera that was small. The Nikon D40 is a dSLR, that falls way outside the small category, as well as price range.

Yeah Powershot SD seems to be the line I'm going to go with for a digital camera. No need for anything near SLR, or lenses for that matter.

Just need to pick a model - the cool thing is the high end (975 I think it was) isn't too bad, and I do like black stuff :p

We'll see though, then to do some research on a quality Movie Camera. I'm thinking maybe 600-700 as a high limit.

it does support raw btw.

strange all the sites i looked at said it doesnt or its not listed in the specs - now are we talking d40 or d40x or they the same model just different name?

edit: after rechecking you are right - i got confused between raw and the raw+jpeg option, it cant do raw+jpeg at the same time

So it looks like I found my digital camera -

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8800577&type=product&id=1205538350143

I'm going to pick it up today after work. Sale price is $180, which isn't too bad. It really fits my needs for what I'm going to use it for, and pretty cost effective.

Have to do some research then going to look for a Digital Camcorder too. Probably would like to stay under $600 on that if I can.

Try looking at the Canon SD1100 IS ELPH. if you want to save a little money :) I replaced my Casio 10 MP with it and I am very happy with the quality of the pictures. and options. Its a 8 mega pixel but the difference is not much. its a really good everyday quality camera.Cannon is the way to go

here is a nice review
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_...on_sd1100.html

ADD: I see you went with the ELPH, Good choice Derek :)

So it looks like I found my digital camera -

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8800577&type=product&id=1205538350143

I'm going to pick it up today after work. Sale price is $180, which isn't too bad. It really fits my needs for what I'm going to use it for, and pretty cost effective.

Have to do some research then going to look for a Digital Camcorder too. Probably would like to stay under $600 on that if I can.

Good choice, you should like it ...

I am glad you didn't pick a Kodak. They are junk ...

Thanks tdinc - that actually isn't a bad suggestion. I did a compare on the two -

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...05537513592*1202648739309*1202429848939&catId=

The price difference is about 30 bucks, and IMO the difference in features for the 790 is well worth it. Off the top of my head the 790 has a rechargeable battery, where replacement batteries for the 1100 are around 40 bucks or so. The 790 has a bigger screen by about .5 an inch, obviously 2 more MP, a better imaging processor and so forth.

I don't think you can go wrong with either - if they were full price I may have leaned towards the 1100 or if it was the only one on sale, but with only 30 apart, I'm going with the 790 :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back