Longhorn what you think?

W

wI-OSMAN-

what do you think of longhorn right now in its alpha stages?

for an alpha they hav got very far, Beyond wat xp was in its alpha stage so i think it can only get better, def gona buy it

What we have seen of Longhorn in it's early alpha builds is pretty much just XP with a face-lift. A lot of the underlying features such as WinFS were not yet implemented properly. Even so, the development seems to be going quite fast, and it shows a lot of potential.
I think it will turn out to be a great OS if the Palladium initiative doesn't turn out like what it's portrayed to be at this time.

I'm not particularly fond of the Plex theme, but then again, I wasn't a fan of Luna either (Watercolor Lite all the way!). According to MS, the UI of Longhorn is going to undergo a major overhaul, so I highly doubt the current Plex theme is going to stay until the final build.

I love the Plex theme, and having been suing it as my default theme for a while now.

Has any seen, or does anyone know from where I can get the video of the Longhorn theme, that just came out in the past few days. It was posted on the http://www.winsupersite.com a couple of days ago.

WinSupersite has new screenshots of Longhorn "Aero" and they look stunning! :eek: :D

Volume Control:

lh-winhec-01.png

I just don't get how on that website, he says that the video he recieved was fake? i mean, even in one picture showing from when it loads personal settings to when MSN is on the screen, you can TELL that no theme can possibly do what it did. i mean, the taskbar fades into view, as well as MSN when it loads. Also, the system tray right after where the arrow is gets higher than the rest of the taskbar. that is, as far as i know, impossible with a theme as well.

I'm wondering why everyone is so excited about a "new" operating system that just changes the UI, has built in media rights protection that will be forced on you and will cost another $100...

If Billy wants to sell a new OS he ought to make one that is secure from hackers and ups performance by 20-30% like Win 2000 did. Then it might be worth buying.

Would you pay a car dealer another $30k to slap a new coat of paint on your existing car and install a new CD player?

ElementalDragon, they're basing it's fakeness by the fact that the wallpaper in it is available off the net... well, I dont know if its just me, but I havent used the default wallpaper in windows since 3.1, am I alone on this one? I think not..

LeeJend, no, this is pre-alpha, if you watch the leaked videos from winhec and so on you will see that there is so much more to it that just a UI update and thats at this stage, there is still a LOT of development that has to go into it.

Try reading this page: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/longhorn_preview_2003.asp

LeeJend, think of it this way. FAT32 was used for OS's with a relatively large hard drive. NTFS which came after FAT32 IS used for very large/multiple hard drives and is the format of choice due to enhanced security. When the new file system for Longhorn comes out, don't you think it would be another step beyond what we can imagine now? and no offense to those of you people that Loathe your X-Box, but if MS would have never made their own little PC and called it a console, Our PC's actually might run better than it does. :eek:

I thought they where using a system more geared towards that of being SQL based?

Winfs is a storage thing but Requires the drive to b formated in NTFS

Yeah, but the core filesystem will continue to be NTFS. WinFS is just a service that runs on top of the filesystem, and adds better search and navigational capabilities to the system. It's supposedly also the first step towards eliminating drive letters completely from file paths.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back