Longhorn Saga

sean.ferguson

OSNN Veteran Addict
well, what do you think? whats happened to it :rolleyes:

IMO i dont think it will be released, from what others have told me and from what i have seen myself. If it does get released then it will only become another ME

what do you think?

Its still in pre-alpha stages and wont be released to 2005/2006. I don't think it will be another window me, it will be more than that.

Me is just waiting for my PDC copy to come in the post! Can't Wait!

Isn't Longhorn like Windows Memphis (the never released version between Windows 95 and 98)? If so, than this is just a test-version, and the real version will be completely different looking.

I think longhorn will be a real released windows version and not a ME type. but it will take ms some time before they release it.

They've spent too much time on it for it to be another windows ME, which done in aboot 5 minutes :)
I think the longer waiting period is good. People would complain if they had relaeased it 2 years after XP. Well....they'll coimplain anyway. But i'm looking forward to it except the DRM thing

i think it will be @ least 2/3 years till it's done. there will be some major changes that they wont let anyone know about. i think they want to revelutionise the computing world again like they did with XP. i think longhorn will be great, buts it's gona be a long time untill we know exactly what it is ;)

Good. We don't need another OS that soon really :) currently XP isn't too bad an OS compared to something like ME, and we don't want another ME OS appearing as the successor to XP

i think the 64 bit environment everything will go to is what will take the longest to develop and release in this windows longhorn

Five years without a new Microsoft OS release in unpreceeded. Looks as if MS really wants to produce something new and something good.

Gradually Longhorn is becoming real. Check out the links here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/longhorn/

I am happy with XP. So when (if) they release Longhorn I hope it lives up to the hype.

I have no doubts that Longhorn will be released, and I'm sure it's not going to be another Windows ME.
If you see the Longhorn developer pages on MSDN, you can see the work that's being put into it, and it looks extremely promising. It's far too early to tell what it's going to be like when it goes gold, and the currently available builds are definitely not an indicator of what it will turn out to be.
As of now, like Funky, I'm perfectly contented with XP. It's one of the most stable operating systems I've used (that's my experience, I won't argue), and it does everything I need.

With that said, it's always fun to try new stuff, and Longhorn is something I'm keeping a close eye on. :)

by the time longhorn is ready, nobody has any idea how far our hardware will have progressed, all we can do is guess

I expect no box will be sold with less then 2 gigs of memory...I also expect a breakthrough in memory technology...hopefully in hardrive technology, and this will be the greatest boon, if this can get to solid state.

larger L1 of course, more static ram available, unheard of processors, etc, this os should be able to address more then 4 gigs of memory per process, etc.

the alphas that are going around now cannot possibly be indicative of what the os will look like and what it will do in the end

they are just testing and adjusting new theory and os policies

Well Longhorn in someway shape or form will be a real release version of Windows is true from what I've seen. As for what it will be able to a lot is the goal of MS but one of the big things besides the DRM is a new file system. As perris said the builds you can find are not what the final product will be as they still have most of the underlying code from XP Pro in there. As far as computers and everything go only time will tell what will be around when Longhorn goes gold

Adrenalize said:
i think the 64 bit environment everything will go to is what will take the longest to develop and release in this windows longhorn

Hrm, the opensource world has allready finished that, and is going on with their normal lives, what could take them so much longer?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back