• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Log Off Button

Bman

OSNN Veteran Original
I was wondering if anybody knew how to put the logoff button as an icon on the desktop??

If possible ???

create a shortcut pointing to: "shutdown.exe -l -t 00" (that is a l as in Leo). The -l command is for logging off, and the -t 00 command is a timer which is set to 00 seconds, if set to 10 then it takes 10 seconds to logoff etc.

N

NegativeFactor

Isn't that for UNIX based operating systems?...oh hang on i just found a windows equvilent. Hey i didn't know you get that. Yeah that should work.

I have a shorcut pointing to :

%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation

That should do the same thing.

Originally posted by NegativeFactor
Isn't that for UNIX based operating systems?
Yep, but also for Windows.

Originally posted by NegativeFactor
I have a shorcut pointing to :

%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation

That should do the same thing.
Uhm, no, the shutdown shortcut I gave is to completely logoff the computer. Your shortcut only locks the workstation without actually logging off.

N

NegativeFactor

it's too hot to think. Cheers for pointing that out!

There possibly might be a function in the same dll that logs the machine off. But i'm not sure.

V

vdubVR6

i just tried this and the "%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation" works for me at work, (win2kOS)great for when i leave the desk = ) but does anyone know how to shutdown too, would i just put Shutdown instead of Lockworkstation any help would be appreciated thx

Originally posted by vdubVR6
i just tried this and the "%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation" works for me at work, (win2kOS)great for when i leave the desk = ) but does anyone know how to shutdown too, would i just put Shutdown instead of Lockworkstation any help would be appreciated thx
Here's the shortcut for Windows 9x, dunno if it works for win 2k.
"%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,exitwindows" for shutting down the computer and:
"%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,exitwindowsexec" for restarting the computer.

In Windows XP it would be:
"shutdown.exe -s -t 00" for shutting down and:
"shutdown.exe -r -t 00" for restarting the computer.

V

vdubVR6

:( nope o';well guess im just gonna have to wait an extra 5 min. shut'in down till i leave at night, thx anyways glaanieboy, but if this might help then the error message i get is "X Error in user32.dll Missing entry:exitwindows"

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keithgonzaal