Kernel 2.6.x

penguin

g0t r00t?
Kernel 2.6.0

Just wanted to say that this kernel is a big performance improvement. :p

Compiling it is a lot more elegant too, IMO. I used it when it was in the test 7 stage. Haven't updated to the final yet. Still using 2.4.22 with Slack 9.1

Very easy to compile. Just make sure you know what hardware you have. You should put 2.6.0 on your Slack 9.1. Runs great.

i'm waiting for a stick of ram to finish up a computer on which I'll be putting slack9.1 and quickly bump up to the 2.6... I'm kinda excited to see how it plays out for me.

I'm running 2.6 on my laptop under Gentoo and I have to say it runs very smoothly. I used to be a slackware user and switching over to gentoo was one of the best things I ever did. Check it out, the install is a bit complicated (do a stage3 if you're confused) but in the end it's worth having for portage, a system that automatically downloads, configures, compiles, and installs programs for you. It's a pretty basic install, you have to emerge (the command to use portage) X11 and Gnome\KDE\*box and everything else you need but theres lots of docs and such on the website, www.gentoo.org

-Tim

I've heard so many good things about Gentoo's portage system, I'm really tempted to try it out. Need more time on my hands though. Might do it sometime when I have a relatively free weekend. :)

Camasii said:
I'm running 2.6 on my laptop under Gentoo and I have to say it runs very smoothly. I used to be a slackware user and switching over to gentoo was one of the best things I ever did. Check it out, the install is a bit complicated (do a stage3 if you're confused) but in the end it's worth having for portage, a system that automatically downloads, configures, compiles, and installs programs for you. It's a pretty basic install, you have to emerge (the command to use portage) X11 and Gnome\KDE\*box and everything else you need but theres lots of docs and such on the website, www.gentoo.org

-Tim

You can do the same thing with Slack using the apps slapt-get or swaret. If running an RPM based distro (RH, Suse, Mandrake) the is a proggy called YUM that does this.

penguin said:
If running an RPM based distro (RH, Suse, Mandrake) the is a proggy called YUM that does this.
rpm-apt works well to.

Agreed. Swaret is an awesome little tool for Slackware, especially with the new support for repositories like LinuxPackages etc. Pretty much works exactly like the portage system, resolves dependencies etc.

Just as a heads up, kernel 2.6.1 has been released. I just custom compiled it (upgraded from a stock Slackware 2.4.22 kernel), and as penguin stated, it's definitely a nice performance boost. :)
Nice to finally have OpenGL/DRI working with my Radeon drivers too now.

Swaret works great for me. As well as checkinstall. I'd like to try out Gentoo though just so I can find out what all the fuss is about portage.

I just got the 2.6.1 kernel installed earlier today. It was my 3rd recompile. Just a note ... if you are using iptables, remember to enable Packet filtering, and all the options below it. reiser support isn't a default option also. Those who want to use Nvidia drivers might have trouble with agpart, it's best to just remove it all together or load it as a module. I overlooked these during my first 3 compiles an ended up redoing things over. These are also options that don't carry over using "make oldconfig" so you have to double check. "make menuconfig" is always best. As for the performance boost, I haven't noticed any ... but then again, I don't use Slackware as my desktop.

Here is my uname.

root@wenberg:/home# uname -a
Linux wenberg 2.6.1 #1 SMP Sat Jan 10 23:47:33 CST 2004 i686 unknown unknown GNU/Linux

Hehe, took me a couple of recompiles as well. Kept making stupid errors like installing the Radeon modules, but leaving out the AGP controller. But it was worth it in the end, I think. :)

One day I will learn about this "Slackware" you speak of.

I wouldn't use it as a Windows replacement just yet, but it's definitely fun to play with. :)

I agree completely NetRyder :)

now I need to get 2.6.1

ok 2.6.1 installed :) getting a couple errors, google makes me think that there is an error with 2.6.1

bash-2.05b# dmesg | grep error
request_module: failed /sbin/modprobe -- snd-card-1. error = 256
request_module: failed /sbin/modprobe -- net-pf-10. error = 256
request_module: failed /sbin/modprobe -- char-major-6-0. error = 256
request_module: failed /sbin/modprobe -- char-major-10-134. error = 256

Note that everything is working correctly.

Yeah, similar errors here.

Code:
root@NightHawk:/# dmesg | grep error
request_module: failed /sbin/modprobe -- snd-card-0. error = -16
request_module: failed /sbin/modprobe -- devpts. error = 256

But as you said, everything works fine, so I'm not too bothered. It might have something to do with the fact that some of the modules are now loaded in the kernel itself. Not quite sure what the problem is.

NetRyder said:
Yeah, similar errors here.

Code:
root@NightHawk:/# dmesg | grep error
request_module: failed /sbin/modprobe -- snd-card-0. error = -16
request_module: failed /sbin/modprobe -- devpts. error = 256

But as you said, everything works fine, so I'm not too bothered. It might have something to do with the fact that some of the modules are now loaded in the kernel itself. Not quite sure what the problem is.

That was my initial thought too, but I checked, I looked through rc.modules, but those entries weren't there, I had a similar problem with agpgart when I upgraded to 2.6.0. I built it into the kernel and there was still an entry in rc.modules so it would complain, commented it out and was all good.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back