• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Keeping your case dust free.

vivid_vibe

OSNN Senior Addict
I realize this is not a new concept, but I just sometimes neglect this chore. I just got through dusting the inside of my case completely, and I lowered my idle temp from 37C to 25C, no kidding. I am guilty of postponing this simple task for some reason. But I implore everyone to do this on a regular basis, especially anyone who may just be discovering this concept. Just buy a can of duster and go to town. Hope this helps someone.

vivid

Aprox

Political User
Always a good idea, I try to do it every other month or so. I would do it more often than that if my Lian Li PC-75 case was not so large and heavy. I have to blow out my radiator otherwise my gpu and cpu temps rise about 3 - 4c, and I usually top off the coolant while I'm in there too.

Do you happen to have an air compressor in your garage? Works great for cleaning computers, so much better than buying expensive and awkward cans of air.

X-Istence

Political User
If you are blowing it out with a can of air, please keep a vacuum cleaner near by, and try to suck up as much dust as you possibly can. Otherwise it will be back inside that case in no time.

Also, try to reduce the amount of air vents in the computer that allow dust to get in. I have several smaller PC's that run without any passive cooling (fans) and instead have copper tubing. Means I can close off the entire case and keep it dust free.

One of them is a smaller Soekris board, which is entirely enclosed in a case which is water proof.

nope. need to throw some more storage and new monitors at my pc first. Some Dell 2407-HC's will be landing on a desk near me in January :)

Mine get cleaned regularly, once every 1,2,3,6 or 12 months depending on which comes last...

Don't use a compressor to clean the cases unless the compressor has an oil/water filter on its output. Compressors inject oil into the air which will coat the PC and make the dust impossible to remove. They can also have rusty water in the tanks (makes a good conductor on the boards).

Use the canned air outdoors only. It is not air, it is a noxious fluorocarbon compound. One of the idiot IT guys at work was using the stuff one day for about 30 moinutes to clean out a couple systems and he got so bad he was gagging and coughing for 2 hours after he stopped using it. I called medical for him becasue he had no idea what he had done to himself. Now most of the PC cleaning stuff has been pulled from inventory.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loxioalix