July 2007 Desktop Screenshots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ububtu wont work with my usb keyboard. Or my SATA controller. It just crashes on boot. Vista works and looks so much better :p

(yes I know its because the southbridge on my mainboard is up the river but just thought I'd make a point :p )

As an ubuntu user, I find it very amusing when you claim it looks nicer than vista (my primary os).

beauty is in the eye of the beholder. i don't like aero or luna (or whatever the default xp theme is) but i love gilouche, clearlooks and hmmxp. and anything vista has cannot compare with compiz fusion. at least nothing i have seen.

24-bit color > 32-bit color?

24-bit and 32-bit have the exact same amount of colours, extra 8 bits are for the alpha channel which iirc is used only when rendering 3d, blending transparent textures. the actual data from the graphics card to the display is 24-bit in both linux and windows. no difference. :)

Not alot or replies this month.

Here's mine:

Operating System: Windows XP Professional
Theme: VistaXP
Icons: Vista TuneUp Theme
Wallpaper: Technical (Found on deviantART)

it may be that i am just blind or the alcohol from last night has put my eyes on dark but i cant find that wall on deviantART - any chance of a link for wall icons and themes please

ps. nothing wrong with xp just ask dell ;) i cant see what the big deal is with vista - i tried it and didnt like it much, this pc will run it but only has 1gb ram in it atm, cant afford to buy vista and mem so have to stick with xp

beauty is in the eye of the beholder. i don't like aero or luna (or whatever the default xp theme is) but i love gilouche, clearlooks and hmmxp. and anything vista has cannot compare with compiz fusion. at least nothing i have seen.

Agreed :D

24-bit and 32-bit have the exact same amount of colours, extra 8 bits are for the alpha channel which iirc is used only when rendering 3d, blending transparent textures. the actual data from the graphics card to the display is 24-bit in both linux and windows. no difference. :)

Agreed again. However, the 24-bit reproduction in ubuntu looks worse than a 16-bit reproduction in windows for some reason.

My desktop looks like ass on ubuntu :)

Anyhoo, my slightly modified vista d'top. Now using zune player in my sidebar. It is a completely independent music player (i.e. doesn't need other apps open). Quite nifty, made by our friends at the hobby lounge :D

Agreed again. However, the 24-bit reproduction in ubuntu looks worse than a 16-bit reproduction in windows for some reason.

that i am sure is ATI/AMD's fault for providing such rubbish drivers, or perhaps you are still using vesa? (hope not). i am sure it can be fixed with a driver update since all they've been working on the past few months are bugfixes. but this is pretty OT for this thread. :)

that i am sure is ATI/AMD's fault for providing such rubbish drivers, or perhaps you are still using vesa? (hope not). i am sure it can be fixed with a driver update since all they've been working on the past few months are bugfixes. but this is pretty OT for this thread. :)

Ubuntu notes seem to give Ati/AMD drivers a much cleaner bill of health than nvidia's or any other gfx ihv m8 :)

But we can discuss elsewhere.

don't know where you could've read that, it is widely discussed on every linux forum and many times on digg/slashdot how crappy the binary ati drivers are. on the other hand, intel is praised for having open sourced their drivers, and nvidia because of actually decent releases that support their range.

my last post on the topic in this thread, promise ;)

Agreed :D

Anyhoo, my slightly modified vista d'top. Now using zune player in my sidebar. It is a completely independent music player (i.e. doesn't need other apps open). Quite nifty, made by our friends at the hobby lounge :D

whats your wallpaper

it may be that i am just blind or the alcohol from last night has put my eyes on dark but i cant find that wall on deviantART - any chance of a link for wall icons and themes please

ps. nothing wrong with xp just ask dell ;) i cant see what the big deal is with vista - i tried it and didnt like it much, this pc will run it but only has 1gb ram in it atm, cant afford to buy vista and mem so have to stick with xp

Hmm, I may have found it elsewhere. I can't remember. Here's the wall:

It's not wide screen but stretching it works.

Attachments

• Technical.jpg
    Technical.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 134
thanks :) , if anyone wants i can try and resize the picture for your screens (if needed) i bet most here can do that anyway ;) 1360x768 - looks good here on my tv (ye i know but thats the highest it will do)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back