• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Job Prospects?

#1
Heya guys, .. now this'll sound stupid, so i'll explain the situation, up until i got my exam results i thought i was sorted for uni, etc etc.

buuuut, now i've gotten the results, i've got to go through clearing, got raped by a chem a level, missed the c by 3 marks :rolleyes:

got me b in maths and two cs (bio and ICT)

So, the plans have changed, probably for the good, and i've decided to keep with my slightly geeky computing interest side, and i'm entering in for computer science! been accepted already, which was nice...

But, question is, now my 'rents are going on about it..

What jobs are there out there at the end of it? ^^

Thanks guys
 

ray_gillespie

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
#2
Sorry to hear you didn't quite get what you'd hoped for but well done for sorting yourself out with a place doing computer science. What were you originally planning on studying?
 
#3
well, originally i was entered in to do Pharmacy at the uni i wanted to go to, but you know, needed 3Bs, or closest to, my fault for taking 4 rather than 3 like everyone else ^^

Coulda blagged it i reckon if i'd gotten my C in chem, but either way - obviously shows i'm too crap at chem to do pharmacy heh and i'd lost interest in it anyways, so i got what i wanted!

Seeing as I spend my life on and around my pc and all the bits inbetween, should suit me perfectly - coding = ace. hardware/software technology.. it's all fun ^^

Still at the uni i wanted to go to though (Cardiff ftw)
So all is good, just need to work out what kinda job to be looking forward to :rolleyes:
 

ming

OSNN Advanced
#4
if you're interested in computer science/engineering... I've been told by a friend that some guy skipped Uni and done some professional qualification courses like MCSE and got a job after 3-4 months of completing his course.
 

Electronic Punk

willalwaysbewithyou
Staff member
Political User
#6
ming said:
if you're interested in computer science/engineering... I've been told by a friend that some guy skipped Uni and done some professional qualification courses like MCSE and got a job after 3-4 months of completing his course.
What like me? Did one MCP and was then headhunted by a military contractor? :p
 
L

Lee

Guest
#8
Moonwraith said:
Heya guys, .. now this'll sound stupid, so i'll explain the situation, up until i got my exam results i thought i was sorted for uni, etc etc.

buuuut, now i've gotten the results, i've got to go through clearing, got raped by a chem a level, missed the c by 3 marks :rolleyes:

got me b in maths and two cs (bio and ICT)

So, the plans have changed, probably for the good, and i've decided to keep with my slightly geeky computing interest side, and i'm entering in for computer science! been accepted already, which was nice...

But, question is, now my 'rents are going on about it..

What jobs are there out there at the end of it? ^^

Thanks guys
How would you know you missed a grade c by 3 marks?
 
#9
Well from some information I had from a newspaper the top sought skils in the computing field is things like C programming, SQL, Unix, Java and so on I think in that order, I would get the exact information, but unfortunately I believe the piece of paper has fallen victim to my filing system ;)
 

jimi_81

Moderator
Political User
#12
it really depends the way the course is taught.
I know that at the university I attended, Computer Science was very theory intensive. I remember speaking with friends who were in it, and all i ever heard from them was how hard their algebra exams were. Probably a lot less of a hands on experience for them. At another university, I had a few friends taking Computer Science, and they didnt concentrate on proofs or any other complex mathematics... they essentially programmed for 4 years. In terms of jobs... the guys that went to my university, I dont know where they are... my other buds have great jobs. One is at a bank debugging software, and the other is at a private firm making big time cash (25 years old, driving a 2005 BMW 3series).

Does that clear it up? Its best to know WHAT your going to be learning.. and how the courses are structured.
 
#13
Just rambling advice from someone who is paying off expensive college debts:

The job market is too booming right now to waste money on going to a university. Five years ago, I went to college because every job I wanted required a bachelor's with a master's preferred. Now those very same jobs have requirements like "MCSE certification or 1-2 years of experience". Save your money, go to uni part time while you work your nice, easy-to-get job, and get the degree only for promotions and extra pay. Just get some certs and make sure you know C programming and Unix.

I'm not staying in the military when I can have a nice income inside of three years.
 
Last edited:
L

Lee

Guest
#14
Moonwraith said:
because you get a break down of marks and grades for every module you take? ..:p
You can make stupid faces if you wish, lab exam on day 1 which made up 20% and over the next week or so 4 papers 1-4 with 4 being essay based, so we did not do modules, sounds a little easy if you ask me.

Well modern day a'levels are like our o'levels, no-wonder the radio stations keep asking if they have become too easy.
 
#15
well company I work for prefer people without degrees but with hands on experiance of a unix tpe OS (*bsd, linux, etc) and windows from a support and setup perspective in a server envrionment.

So if you are failry good at setting up linux/bsd servers and are comforatable compiling stuff by hand, get in touch :)

(must be prepared to move to london if taken on etc)
 

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
#16
Why not just re-take the exams? Get the 3 b's and everyone's happy?

Sure it'll take a little longer but its still an option init :D
 
#17
Lee said:
You can make stupid faces if you wish, lab exam on day 1 which made up 20% and over the next week or so 4 papers 1-4 with 4 being essay based, so we did not do modules, sounds a little easy if you ask me.

Well modern day a'levels are like our o'levels, no-wonder the radio stations keep asking if they have become too easy.
no, gcses are o levels.

A levels are classed as easier because the average grades are coming up.. BECAUSE 90% of people studying in further education are studying photography, beauty care, media studies or drama.

Lee, take Bio, Chem, Maths and ICT and tell me they're easy.. without swearing angrily now, i'll leave it at that.
 
#18
Sazar said:
Why not just re-take the exams? Get the 3 b's and everyone's happy?

Sure it'll take a little longer but its still an option init :D
Aye, it is an option, but top up fees next year kick in :(

If i go this year i get to go, and pay my.. well, £1,150-£1,250 a year on tuition. If i go NEXT year (after retaking) I end up being raped by 4k a year tuition fees :rolleyes:

I'll retake while at uni probably, meaning i'll get my decent grades and a degree by the end of it hopefully
 
#19
I'll chime in since I'm currently working as a recruiter (headhunter). On the software side of things, Java is where it's at, especially w/ exp with Struts, JBE's, and Websphere. On the hardware side, network security (CISSP), and SAN administration are big. Having experience with Hippa or Sarbanes-Oxley is a huge plus.

Desktop techs are making crap for money.
 
#20
The course is based around java, that's good news - it also looks at the history of most programming languages, therefore has topics on other codes, which are taught but not as heavily as java.

Sounds awesome, the uni is researching Face recognition as a biometric passport system, working on AI, networking/mobile grid (only one in wales is near cardiff) is all being worked on and the guys teach the course, sounds damn interestin' stuff :)

Course covers a fair bit of computational maths, as expected, and a module or so of architecture of the parts within a system themselves, all sounds damn good to me..

Anywho, sleepy time. excuses for spelling mistakes/general illiteracy
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
61,961
Messages
673,239
Members
89,015
Latest member
evaiwhitis