iTunes

C

Cosgrove

Who loves it? Who hates it?

whatever the case may be....it's worth dealing with for an ipod.

Hate it. Despise it with a passion.

Told my kids that they can buy an Ipod with their own money if they want, but there's not a cat in hells chance that ITunes is going to be installed on any computer in this house. Grrrrr!!!!!

My Kids love me really :lick:

My daughters boyfriend bought her an ipod for her birthday but I've had no dealings with it or itunes so can't comment.

On older systems (ie machines with less than 512MB of RAM) iTunes runs horribly slow and feels very bloated. On my newer machine it runs butter smooth, so I can't complain :)

Grandmaster said:
On older systems (ie machines with less than 512MB of RAM) iTunes runs horribly slow and feels very bloated. On my newer machine it runs butter smooth, so I can't complain :)
This is a complaint I get a lot from people, there is a clear reason for this.

iTunes has it's own interface, and this takes time to load into memory, especially since they have their own way of drawing the entire Window. On Mac OS X it is all standard so it loads a lot faster. Also, the quicktime compononents can take a while to load, this however should not be an excuse because Apple should optimize their quicktime, but like I said, most of the loading goes into the actual loading and drawing of the windows and the lists, since they are not standard in Windows.

I personally am a big fan of iTunes, I prefer it on the Mac OS X system, since it makes it faster.

When the i pod first game out i wasnt a fan, i bought a video playing mp3 player from another company....:( That thing sucked, you could just throw in any mp3 from you pc, but it was not user friendly. So I broke it somehow lol... And got the Ipod, and i love that thing works so smooth with itunes. But when you first install it its kind of weird, because there is not button to driectly send your songs. It just does it after a few seconds by it self.

Going slightly off topic But understand i hate itunes as well.

i had a ipod. (4th gen) and it broke 2 1/2 years in, but costco refunded it full price (300 USD) 2 1/2 years after i bought it. I bought a phillips GoGear for 70 bucks and im loving it.

Pros- Ipod.
1. I liked ipod button interface more.
2. 20 gigs was nice but for working out at the gym it was like giving tittles beer and a go cart.
Cons- Ipod
1. ITUNES ITUNES ITUNES. I dont have quicktime installed on my computer and dont really ever want it. And tell the DRM to suck it.

Pros- Gogear
1. FM tuner wtf cant a ipod have a FM tuner built in i still dont understand this.
2. 70 USB compared to 300 USD.
3. Voice recording built in.
4. Ample space for a work out.
5. Drag and drop like a thumb drive works. And windows Media player does the rest.

Cons-GoGear
1. buttons are small and take alot of practice to get what you want done quickly.
2. take about 15 seconds to start up.

iTunes isn't bad but it could be better. Now if you use it exclusively then why can't they (Apple) set it so you can have a good portion of it preloaded into memory. Now granted that you would need a fast machine and a good amount of memory. Also have this as an option not as default. Kinda like what you can do with the web browser Firefox, so everything loads that much quicker.

The other thing is why not make it so you can skin it. O.K. Apple has it skinned as their OS is, fine. But so many of us have our systems themed in such a way that iTunes when it's open it looks like crap, very much out of place in comparison to the rest of the apps we may have open at the same time. Now I know that not all apps are skinable but it would go a long way to make iTunes that much more.

But now you can use WinAmp to do almost everything that ya do with iTunes 'cept for the iTunes store and a few other things. But from what I have seen and read, WinAmp seems to do a better job. I am not sure on this since I have yet to try it out with my iPods.

So for me it's 50-50 yes/no. But I am use to using it. Sooooo... :s

One thing that does irritate me about iTunes is that if you have your iPod set to update songs manually and then you deside to set it to automatic it will go and erase everything and then start from scratch. Why can't they (Apple) set it so it does a quick search of the library and cross reference it with what's on your iPod and then leave those songs alone and copy over everything else? Now this is if and only if the iPod is the one you have associated with this library and computer and is the one you have been adding songs to from the beginning with iTunes. That would be nice.

Last edited:
After reading gonaads post I just remembered that I've been having a problem with iTunes too :p

For some reason iTunes thinks one of my network drives is my iPod, so when I do the sync it uploads all my music to a folder on the network drive :s

Should look for a way to fix it this weekend...

I'd like to stick to iTunes, and I've never liked Winamp :p I might look into seeing if there's a similar plugin for WMP available though.

I used to use an alternative (Ephpod) on my older system, but it messed up the directory structure on my iPod. Since it's too much of a pain in the ass the resync my entire music collection, I decided to go back to iTunes.

Ironically that's what I'll probably have to do to fix this problem.

Grandmaster said:
After reading gonaads post I just remembered that I've been having a problem with iTunes too :p

For some reason iTunes thinks one of my network drives is my iPod, so when I do the sync it uploads all my music to a folder on the network drive :s

Should look for a way to fix it this weekend...

Wow, I wish I could get one of the folders on my network to be recognized as an iPod, would make it soo much easier :p. Check the root of the drive it is copying to, as to wether or not it contains any hidden folders by accident.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back