Is there a file recovery software which preserves file names and directory structure?

BlackScarletLove

I'm trying to recover an entire terabyte, and I don't want a recovery software which will scrap filenames and file structures, leaving an unintelligible mess to wade through. Is there a software which will preserve file names and structures, and possibly allow me to restore only particular directories?

Re: Is there a file recovery software which preserves file names and directory struct

Not that I know of ... Most of those file recovery programs you find don't work anyhow.

Re: Is there a file recovery software which preserves file names and directory struct

I'm trying to recover an entire terabyte, and I don't want a recovery software which will scrap filenames and file structures, leaving an unintelligible mess to wade through. Is there a software which will preserve file names and structures, and possibly allow me to restore only particular directories?
If you want to recover your files just start system restore and choose the date you want to restore it to... Done, So Easy!

If you want to recover your files just start system restore and choose the date you want to restore it to... Done, So Easy!

I am assuming that he is talking about deleted files. There is really no way to completely recover them. Most of the recovery programs will just build a list of what was deleted and not really recover anything.

system restore doesn't work like that. it is for system changes, not file changes.

From Microsoft site:
"System Restore protects your personal files by not restoring any files in the My Documents folder. It also does not restore any files that use common file name extensions, such as .doc or .xls. If you're not sure whether your personal files use common file name extensions, and you do not want the data files to be affected by System Restore, save them in the My Documents folder. "

I had a problem a while back, after extensive research and trying getdataback I ended up buying "Active Partition Recovery". It worked well. But with any data loss there are no guarantees. It is not free.

just start system restore and choose the date you want to restore it but Most of the recovery programs will just build a list of what was deleted and not really recover anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

just start system restore and choose the date you want to restore it

As I said before, which you didn't take the time to observe: System restore doesn't work like that. it is for system changes, not file changes.

From Microsoft site:
"System Restore protects your personal files by not restoring any files in the My Documents folder. It also does not restore any files that use common file name extensions, such as .doc or .xls [or jpg or rar, etc]. If you're not sure whether your personal files use common file name extensions, and you do not want the data files to be affected by System Restore, save them in the My Documents folder. "

Most of the recovery programs will just build a list of what was deleted and not really recover anything.

That is an ignorant thing to say. You're saying that essentially all recovery programs are just scams. If that were the case no one would ever use them since it would be pointless and a waste of money, and they certainly wouldn't endorse them, so they would eventually cease to exist, or word would arise as counter-endorsement.

More importantly, you take the time to say most are scams, but you don't provide the essential information requested in this thread, which would be: "All" minus "most" equals the ones that actually do work.

So therefore your entire post is a waste of mine and everyone's time.

Also, for the record, I found one that does work (don't sh*t your pants): Stellar Phoenix Data Recovery

As I said before, which you didn't take the time to observe: System restore doesn't work like that. it is for system changes, not file changes.

From Microsoft site:
"System Restore protects your personal files by not restoring any files in the My Documents folder. It also does not restore any files that use common file name extensions, such as .doc or .xls [or jpg or rar, etc]. If you're not sure whether your personal files use common file name extensions, and you do not want the data files to be affected by System Restore, save them in the My Documents folder. "

That is an ignorant thing to say. You're saying that essentially all recovery programs are just scams. If that were the case no one would ever use them since it would be pointless and a waste of money, and they certainly wouldn't endorse them, so they would eventually cease to exist, or word would arise as counter-endorsement.

More importantly, you take the time to say most are scams, but you don't provide the essential information requested in this thread, which would be: "All" minus "most" equals the ones that actually do work.

So therefore your entire post is a waste of mine and everyone's time.

Also, for the record, I found one that does work (don't sh*t your pants): Stellar Phoenix Data Recovery

That post you responded to is a spam post. I am glad you found one that works. I haven't checked them out for a while. But from previous experience. None of the ones I tested did work.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back