Is my graphics card working? I don't know...

Thrip

OSNN Junior Addict
Can anyone help me? After buying a new Verto FX5200 graphics card for my PCI slot (I don't have an AGP slot) I don't know if it is working or not... :rolleyes: When I plug my monitor into the card's port the monitor is just blank (with a very faint blue bar at the bottom). But when I plug it into the usual monitor port it works, and when I look under the monitor properties in device manager it says the monitor is working from location "NVIDIA Geforce FX5200". Can I really be using the card if I'm not plugged into its port? Sorry in advance for being dim...

You will need to turn off the onboard video in the BIOS.

Read you mobo's manual to find out how to do so.

I'm afraid I don't have a mobo manual... but I have deactivated the onboard intel video card by using device manager... would that amount to the same thing? If not, are there any generic instructions for deactivating onboard video in BIOS?

In fact, after removing the driver of the onboard video, I can't even see it anymore in device manager... All that is there under "graphics cards" now is the nvidia fx5200...

Just out of curiosity.. my sis' PC has a PCI graphics, and onboard. I couldn't turn the onboard off (litterally, no option. Anywhere.) The only option i had in the end was to select to run dual monitor and select the 5200 as the main one.

Kaggy, but it works.

Moonwraith said:
Just out of curiosity.. my sis' PC has a PCI graphics, and onboard. I couldn't turn the onboard off (litterally, no option. Anywhere.) The only option i had in the end was to select to run dual monitor and select the 5200 as the main one.

Kaggy, but it works.

I thought of doing that, but can't figure out how to run dual monitor.:yowch: This is so weird - my display properties actually says "Display: Standard monitor with Nvidia Geforce Fx5200". But the monitor is not plugged into the card, just into its normal old port...

Reinstall the drivers for your onboard graphics, then go into display settings. It'll have 2 options, (helpful here if you have 2 monitors, easier than swapping which graphics you use if you mess up). The option will be there for dual monitors, set desktop to show on the 5200, and that should do it.

Basically, my sister's graphics through the PCI doesn't actually work until windows is up (just incase this does this with you aswell).

Hope this works.

Better yet post the compuater and MB make and model number and we'll find a manual for you. Also tell what bios the MB uses.

Pressing Del or F1 during the boot process usually gets you into the bios setup. Varied by computer brand.

LeeJend said:
Better yet post the compuater and MB make and model number and we'll find a manual for you. Also tell what bios the MB uses.

Pressing Del or F1 during the boot process usually gets you into the bios setup. Varied by computer brand.

Thrip doesn't know who makes the board, nor the model number. :(

Thrip

Download Sisoft sandra it is a free PC analysis tool. It may be able to read the MB make and model number from the bios.

LeeJend said:
Thrip

Download Sisoft sandra it is a free PC analysis tool. It may be able to read the MB make and model number from the bios.

Okay, I got the Sisoft Sandra and it says I have a Fujitsu-Siemens Mainboard (is that the same as a motherboard?), no MP support, Model D1450, Version S26361-D1450, Serial No. 10482810.

The computer I have is a Fujitsu-Siemens Scaleo 400P, 2.0 Ghz Celeron, 256 Mb DDR-SDRam.

The BIOS I am using is Phoenix V4.06 R1.04 - but the plot thickens. When I updated to this BIOS from V4.06 R1.02 yesterday the computer would not boot,:cry: so I went into safe mode, disabled my FX5200 graphics card and re-enabled my onboard video. Now it boots (almost) normally so I can talk with you guys again!

You know what? This is getting even better. My sister's PC is siemens-fujistsu, give my idea a try and see what happens.

Moonwraith said:
You know what? This is getting even better. My sister's PC is siemens-fujistsu, give my idea a try and see what happens.

I just figured out how to run two monitors, Moonwraith, and I tried your suggestion but I'm afraid it didn't work. Again, all I get from the monitor running on the card's port is a very faint dark blue screen with a black bar at the bottom. :cry:

Thrip said:
I just figured out how to run two monitors, Moonwraith, and I tried your suggestion but I'm afraid it didn't work. Again, all I get from the monitor running on the card's port is a very faint dark blue screen with a black bar at the bottom. :cry:

Hmmmm. That's odd, well mate - I'm all out of suggestions :( Short of checking the graphics card works in another PC?

Moonwraith said:
Hmmmm. That's odd, well mate - I'm all out of suggestions :( Short of checking the graphics card works in another PC?

I don't have any friends with computers (because I don't have any friends). :cry: Thanks anyway, I'll try to eke some more info out of the manufacturer...

Thrip

I read the manual (man does my head hurt, german/japanese pidgeon english, yuk).

There are no hardware jumpers to set on the mB for the video. You do appear to have a bios recovery switch which is a nice feature.

They rambled on a lot about the IRQ (interrupt request lines) for the PCI (expansion card) slots. It sounds like the video card has to be in the slot closest to the processor. If it is already there try it in another slot. And if you have any other expansion cards installed pull them out while trying to get the video working.

I'l go back into the manual and see if there is a bios setup section I missed.

EDIT
Reading their IRQ/PCI table I'm confused now so we shotgun it:
Try each PCI expansion slot. See if one works. Slot 2 may be the best choice.

Okay, I'll go ahead and try your suggestions... got to work now, but I'll get back to you in 24 hours. Thanks again for all your help...

LeeJend said:
Thrip

I read the manual (man does my head hurt, german/japanese pidgeon english, yuk).

There are no hardware jumpers to set on the mB for the video. You do appear to have a bios recovery switch which is a nice feature.

They rambled on a lot about the IRQ (interrupt request lines) for the PCI (expansion card) slots. It sounds like the video card has to be in the slot closest to the processor. If it is already there try it in another slot. And if you have any other expansion cards installed pull them out while trying to get the video working.

I'l go back into the manual and see if there is a bios setup section I missed.

EDIT
Reading their IRQ/PCI table I'm confused now so we shotgun it:
Try each PCI expansion slot. See if one works. Slot 2 may be the best choice.

Usually you'll you'll find the v/card settings under applications on your bios, have you just tried to go through all the bios options to see if the v/card option is there?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back