iPhone 3G

For all you hot and bothered iPhone crazies. You may want to read this Article.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2321881,00.asp

Really makes you wonder if Apple is really trying to give their loyal customers a new better product or really trying to squeeze the very last nickle out their loyal sheep.

You decide.

The new rates are a little on the high-side especially given the price of all-inclusive packages from other carriers :(

I had really been hoping for a $99 + tax all in one jobbie

Well, I might have to save a few pennies here and there before I buy a 3g in the next 2 weeks. I'll post pics and stuff when I get the little bastid in my hands.

Really makes you wonder if Apple is really trying to give their loyal customers a new better product or really trying to squeeze the very last nickle out their loyal sheep.

You decide.

Some interesting info in that article. It would seem that a majority of the complaints point to AT&T, though. They are subsidizing the phone, so it's no surprise they are making up the difference with the service plan. The no text message thing is outrageous though if that ends up being true. I'm not an AT&T fan and this doesn't help.

The one ridiculous part of the article is how the sale of the 3G iPhone will affect the environment. Seriously? We should boycott movie theaters for releasing new movies every weekend, forcing people to drive to the theaters and use tons of gas. :p Nevermind the fact that people can leave their home and do multiple tasks, so it's not the case that everyone will leave home to buy an iPhone and then drive right back home again.

Why does this not surprise me..... unless you have money to burn, i find it insulting by Apple/at&t to hike the price up. but thats what you get for the lower priced iphone.

I'll pass.... HTC FTW!

in store activation = jailbreak and unlock is almost dead and somewhat pointless since it means you are on the contract and network before you leave the store.

which means i probably wont bother with it.

Some interesting info in that article. It would seem that a majority of the complaints point to AT&T, though. They are subsidizing the phone, so it's no surprise they are making up the difference with the service plan. The no text message thing is outrageous though if that ends up being true. I'm not an AT&T fan and this doesn't help.

The one ridiculous part of the article is how the sale of the 3G iPhone will affect the environment. Seriously? We should boycott movie theaters for releasing new movies every weekend, forcing people to drive to the theaters and use tons of gas. :p Nevermind the fact that people can leave their home and do multiple tasks, so it's not the case that everyone will leave home to buy an iPhone and then drive right back home again.

Gonaads actually has brought up a good point and this isn't only AT&T.

Apple has a very close relationship with AT&T regarding their product and pricing like this will unfortunately impact them. It's not like using cheaper materials to make the phone is making the profit margins that much thinner for Apple as they are still making money from the contracts.

I was 100% going to purchase an iPhone with the current package deals but, since I am buying one for myself and one for someone else and then also paying the rates for 2 people, it is getting a bit much. Just because I can afford to pay for something doesn't make it right to charge THAT much.

About the only major positive for me is that Austin has excellent 3G coverage and I might be able to get some corporate discounts. However, in their infinite wisdom, AT&T apparently disable ALL my discounts through my employer as soon as I add texting. Brilliant.

The one ridiculous part of the article is how the sale of the 3G iPhone will affect the environment. Seriously?

Well think about it. All those people in line and the non stop foot traffic to and from the Apple Store, you get a ton if not tons of methane gas. Farting for those who are unclear. Now that would seriously affect the environment. :p

in store activation = jailbreak and unlock is almost dead and somewhat pointless since it means you are on the contract and network before you leave the store.

which means i probably wont bother with it.

Well as I posted the story on the front page, as to AT&T's new 3G iPhone price plans.

In the future, AT&T said, the company will offer a no-contract-required option for $599 for the 8-GB model or a whopping $699 for the 16-GB model.

Gonaads actually has brought up a good point and this isn't only AT&T.

Apple has a very close relationship with AT&T regarding their product and pricing like this will unfortunately impact them. It's not like using cheaper materials to make the phone is making the profit margins that much thinner for Apple as they are still making money from the contracts.

I was 100% going to purchase an iPhone with the current package deals but, since I am buying one for myself and one for someone else and then also paying the rates for 2 people, it is getting a bit much. Just because I can afford to pay for something doesn't make it right to charge THAT much.

About the only major positive for me is that Austin has excellent 3G coverage and I might be able to get some corporate discounts. However, in their infinite wisdom, AT&T apparently disable ALL my discounts through my employer as soon as I add texting. Brilliant.

Well if you read into the article as to "texting"

Text Messaging Not Included?
In the "OMFG...HOW COULD THEY DO THIS?" category we have the shocking rumors that the increased data plan change from $20 to $30 does not include 200 free text messages like the old one did. Can you believe it? Talk about a slap in the face by AT&T.

I tried contacting AT&T to get either a confirmation or a denial about this but I couldn't get either. Mark Siegal, the Executive Director of Media Relations at AT&T, said simply that "...We will announce all the details shortly. The iPhone's data pricing is in line with what we charge for our other smartphones."

Unfortunately that doesn't shed much light on the text messaging situation. If AT&T does not include some amount of text messaging with its data plan then I think the value of its plan drops even further and makes the 3G iPhone even more of a screw job then it already is.

Kinda makes you wonder if it really is a screw job.

And as for business customers:
(from front page story as to price plans for iPhone)

Business customers, meanwhile, must contact an appropriate business representative for pricing, AT&T said. Business users also must pay $45 per month for the Enterprise Data Plan.

You decide.
Nothing new at all in that article. No surprise at all that AT&T would want to lure people in with a cheaper iPhone and then make up the difference (plus some of course) with a $10 increase in plan price. It does work out nice for those that couldn't afford the $ up front and don't mind paying more in the end as it's dispersed over 24 months. Oh well people are still going to hate this gen like they hated last gen but Apple/AT&T are still going to sell millions of them. </rant>

Loser. =]

Matt, are lookin ta get yer cookies wolfed again? You know Sazar will do it. And he won't even leave any crumbs for the midgets.

was still looking at the new one....until i actually tried to use safari on it and realised that half my sites wont work because it has no support for java or flash. So all this 3g this and 3g that is just worthless in terms of browsing because millions of sites simply will not work.

was still looking at the new one....until i actually tried to use safari on it and realised that half my sites wont work because it has no support for java or flash. So all this 3g this and 3g that is just worthless in terms of browsing because millions of sites simply will not work.

Well I don't surf millions of sites :)

But I think many of the places I do go to are rendered relatively well.

We'll see if there are some other browsers eventually available.

Matt, are lookin ta get yer cookies wolfed again? You know Sazar will do it. And he won't even leave any crumbs for the midgets.
Not my fault that he is silly.

I now have one on my desk. I just have to wait for O2 to run the credit check to see if I can keep it :)

Their systems broke under demand this morning :D

I already got all my credit check stuff done yesterday :D

Going to pick it up in a few.

Mines arrived at my billing address, I go there tomorrow morning :D

So yeah, I want to get one, but with all the conferences coming up that I am going to be heading too, I can't afford one yet. That, and AT&T's contract is a tad expensive for a college student.

I may be buying an older version iPhone from a friend who is upgrading, and going to AT&T on their original iPhone plan, which is $10 cheaper a month. 3G would be nice, as would GPS, but I can live without both of those, the amount of times that I have been like "Damn, I'd love to have GPS right now" have been limited to maybe once or twice while I have been here in Arizona.

We shall see what the future holds.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back