internet explorer 7

True. Well, they have until summer to get the first beta out, get feedback, get a beta refresh out, get feedback again and then release the final product. So there's plenty of time.

Tangible new features are, no doubt, necessary for a major release to have any significant effect. What I was trying to get at was that they need to fix the broken issues before adding anything new - the defects that immediately spring to mind are security and rendering.Once they have that out of the way (which I'm hoping will happen), they can then move on to the new stuff. :)

I think you're 100% correct. I just thought you were saying it was alright to release 7 without the tangible features. No confusion now. :)

Yeah, I definitely don't want to see a bare, feature-less IE, even if I don't end up switching back at the end of it. Competition drives innovation. We probably wouldn't be seeing this update for XP if it weren't for great alternatives like Firefox, Mozilla, Opera etc.

I agree. I think Microsoft is feeling the heat. (No Firefox pun intended)

As far as activex, maxthon has the optiion to turn it off. When there is a site that has it the bar will come up saying that it blocked it, you will then have the optiion to add the site to the list or totally deny it. Firefox blocks it completely, so there is no alternative to it ...

I think the browsers like Maxthon, opera, firefox, etc, etc, etc are pushing them to come out with something better. If you look at it, I think most people use an alternative over IE rather than use IE, mostly because of how it includes all the features you don't have with ie. It saves you so much time in downloading third party crap that uses to many resources.

Speaking of resources, I hope they work on a way to free up some. I knotice while usign maxthon that it some goes over 60 meg .. That is to much ... The more windos you have open the more it uses ...

Johnny said:
As far as activex, maxthon has the optiion to turn it off. When there is a site that has it the bar will come up saying that it blocked it, you will then have the optiion to add the site to the list or totally deny it.
I've seen IE6 SP2 do the same thing. Does Maxthon do it differently?

NetRyder said:
I've seen IE6 SP2 do the same thing. Does Maxthon do it differently?

I have IE6 with SP2 and haven't seen activex control in IE. Are you sure it was activex and not pop up ?? The bar on Maxthon is simular to the bar that pops up when a pop up is blocked in IE ..

With SP2, you have to click Yes something like three times to get an ActiveX control to install.

Johnny said:
I have IE6 with SP2 and haven't seen activex control in IE. Are you sure it was activex and not pop up ?? The bar on Maxthon is simular to the bar that pops up when a pop up is blocked in IE ..
Yeah, the Information bar in IE6 SP2 comes up for popups as well as ActiveX control installations.

02_default_rtClick.gif

j79zlr said:
With SP2, you have to click Yes something like three times to get an ActiveX control to install.
Hmm...I've only ever had to click it once. It just reloads the page once and installs the control. At least that's how it worked with the Windows Update control and the Windows Genuine Advantage control to download the AntiSpyware app.

Don't you first get a warning about the ActiveX control, get the Install prompt shown above, then have to click Yes again to install it?

I don't really care, since I don't use IE and the only ActiveX controls I load are Office Update and Windows Update. Maybe it depends on the security settings. Its better than it used to be though.

i found a really nice article on the front page of CNET
heres the part i read and agreed with
Don't believe me? You should. Firefox is great, I use it. But it's a chore sometimes, what with most sites using that pesky nonstandard IE code. Not everything renders properly, and some sites just plain don't work--I have to load up IE to use them. Plus, let's be honest--Firefox has its flaws. Why is there no way to check for updates from within the browser, for one thing? Why does it take so doggone long to launch? Why, why must it crash every single time I open a PDF? I mean, every single time. Opera, fine, whatever, I'm not paying for a browser, and for some reason, although I've tried it several times, it's just never captured me. It's too clunky, and I was raised on IE. I don't want to learn something completely new. IE, on the other hand, is like the sweeping tide--it's just easier not to fight it.

In all honesty, we shouldn't have the old Firefox vs IE thread here, but I must say three things.

I've seriously never had a problem with PDF files on Linux, Windows, or even FreeBSD [since the recent acroread 5.10] crashing Firefox.

Firefox does automatically check for updates to both the browser and extensions, check in Options/Preferences under Advanced and Software Update.

I seriously haven't seen too many sites that render horribly in Firefox anymore, sure maybe somebody's 5 second thrown together website in Frontpage, but there aren't too many major sites left that don't render properly, in fact, I can't think of any. It was a lot worse say two years ago, but most companies have gotten with the times.

A bump for some new details :)

IE7 beta 1 – A few details…

We’ve heard some great feedback on what web developers would like to see in IE7, both from the responses to my last post and from the resources I referred to. The rest of the team was cranking away while I was away on parental leave, and I wanted to share a few details about what they were doing: The first couple of things they’ve done are:

* Support the alpha channel in PNG images. We’ve actually had this on our radar for a long time, and have had it supported in the code for a while now. We have certainly heard the clear feedback from the web design community that per-pixel alpha is a really important feature.

* Address CSS consistency problems. Our first and most important goal with our Cascading Style Sheet support is to remove the major inconsistencies so that web developers have a consistent set of functionality on which they can rely. For example, we have already checked in the fixes to the peekaboo and guillotine bugs documented at positioniseverything.net so use of floated elements become more consistent.

We’re doing a lot more than this in IE7, of course, and we’re really excited that the beta release is almost here - we’re looking forward to the feedback when we release the first beta of IE7 this summer. Stay tuned for more details as we get closer to beta.

-Chris Wilson
https://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/04/22/410963.aspx

Thank goodness. I think those are two things that almost everybody wants. :D

They're not features that people want, more features that should of always been there. Still though, nice to see work being done on the browser.

was just about to post this as he put it on the msn site I go to :)

nice to see they are putting something that should have been there from the beginning .. I love how they make it sound like they are doing people a favor by adding things that should have been there from the beginning .. :rolleyes:

There's a WinHEC session from 5:45-6:45PM on Wednesday called "Internet Explorer - Today and Tomorrow"
Might find out some more details there...will keep you guys posted on the blog. :)

that's going to be interesting

hey netryder...a few years ago a child won an award for authoring a browser that was many times faster then any other browser yet written

do you know what happened to that technology?

I would have thought bill might try to succure the inovation

perris said:
that's going to be interesting

hey netryder...a few years ago a child won an award for authoring a browser that was many times faster then any other browser yet written

do you know what happened to that technology?

I would have thought bill might try to succure the inovation

It might be the same boy from England, he wrote browser code which would increase it's speed by 90X in a good session, is this the same one?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back