Interesting AirPort Discovery

Techno Child

web{designer}
I'm just going to start out saying that I'm sure everyone already knew about this, but I haven't posted in awhile and some of you might find this as interesting as I did about 5 minutes ago...

I was in a destruction mode and I took apart one of my old iMac G3 CRT comps to see how it was put together, etc, etc... and after dismantling everything but the tube itself I caught my old airport base station in the corner of my eye and I wondered what was in it... I figured it's as good a time as any with the tools out and all - here's what I found...

Seems like Apple used a nifty device that connected a lucent brand pcmcia wireless card to the ethernet and modem ports... it has an AMD chip on the board... this is an old base station mind you, way before apple decided to move over to the intels and all that and I just thought it odd that an apple airport would use a pc wireless card and an amd chip. Why didn't they use their very own Airport pcmcia card???

-tc

Attachments

• DSCF2476.JPG
    DSCF2476.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 184
  • DSCF2478.JPG
    DSCF2478.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 186
  • DSCF2479.JPG
    DSCF2479.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 177
  • DSCF2480.JPG
    DSCF2480.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 176
  • DSCF2481.JPG
    DSCF2481.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 175
Because the Airport cards that were PCMCIA and the current ones are from standard manufacturers as well. For example, the card in my MacBook Pro is an Atheros card. The cards in the MacBook's are Broadcom cards.

Apple has used different manufacturers for years now, it only makes sense. Why build an entire board from scratch when you can get reference designs and get your feet on the ground running.

The current base stations from what I remember reading about them are running on AMD chips as well with Atheros wireless cards.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back