Index.Dat File - Here How to get rid of it.

Yeah, I suppose that was kind of tangential. Yet still, the problem remains...

Ubergrits... i understand your feelings.... i think the easiest way so far to surf anonymously is using multiproxy .... it is very fast..... but you have to make sure you get the latest proxy list from the website.... it uses several proxies simulataneously to connect to the web... so it's kinda impossible for any webmaster to trace the real origin of the request...
about the index.dat file... reboot and delete the file.. when IE creates it again.... set the attribute to read-only... i think that would stop it... hopefully...

Hey guess what... theres more then one of those files.. theres 3.. 2 of them are hidden.
theres one in the cookies folder
theres on in the content.ie5 folder
and theres one that i guess noones found yet thats under
c:\documents and settings\BLAH\history\history.ie5
im working on how to get rid of them.

How to get rid of it yourself

OK Heres what you have to do.
First reboot.
Then bring up the task manager and a command prompt
Now in the task manager sort it by name in order a-z then end the last svchost.exe. And end norton if you have it. Then end explorer.exe, if you have 2 end them both. Now keep the taskmanager open but go to the command window and type del "c:\documents and settings\NAME\history\history.ie5\index.dat
Now type del "c:\documents and settings\NAME\local settings\temporary internet files\content.ie5\index.dat"
Alrite now go back to the task manager and restart.

note: Windows will recreate the files but everything inside them will be gone. And also change "NAME" to what maches your computer
edit: Also if you have internet explorer running or anything that uses internet explorer (kazaa ect) end those as well.

Spider by Ward van Wanrooij - ward@ward.nu version 1.1.6.0 is the best free program I've used for deleting these files. You should only really do it if your having browser problems as these files can become corrupt over time. I dont know what all the paranoia is about, this is an index file and it keeps an index, no big surprise there - as you know all your web activities is recorded, no big surprise there, so where do you think windows should keep sensitive information like your remembered passwords to your favourite forum in an easy to find easy read file - NO - it keeps it that ever so scary index dat file. By the way once you have successfuly deleted these files windows wont remember your passwords so make sure you've made a note of them all.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back