• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Image Optimizer

Grandmaster

Electronica Addict
Political User
#1
Anyone have a good image optimizer? I'm putting up some graphics on the web, but, the filesizes are a bit too large for anyone who isn't on broadband. Even when using "Save for Web" in Photoshop, the files are just too big.

So, anyone have one?
 
#3
one time i used paint and i found out that thing makes everything so huge! then i used ACDSee for the same photo and it was really compact. i don't know if that will fit ur needs but you should definitely try that program b/c it optimizes a lot better than lots of other programs.
 
P

PseudoKiller

Guest
#4
o_87 said:
Anyone have a good image optimizer? I'm putting up some graphics on the web, but, the filesizes are a bit too large for anyone who isn't on broadband. Even when using "Save for Web" in Photoshop, the files are just too big.

So, anyone have one?
Image optimizer doesnt really exsist... what youre trying to do in mess with the compression in a jpeg image or gif image. In PS you can do this by clicking File and Save as ... in the File Type drop down selct JPEG and then type in what name you wish to call the file. From there another window will pop up where you can select the compression ratio and quality of the image. Understand that the ratio and quality are related. This also includes how large or what resolution your image is in.
Now another way to get a better file size is too crop the image or resize the image. Since it is for the web there is no reason to have a large image. As a guideline images (those in nav bars/buttons or logos etc) should be under 50k max. Another thing to consider is slicing an image into smaller parts and this can help load times but that is for a more advanced user. Try working with jpeg compression and see how much you can mess with the file size but understand you are also losing some quality. Check your image dimensions / resolutions (also pixels per inch) and you may just need to resize the image. Hope this helps and sorry its so wordy. :D
 

Grandmaster

Electronica Addict
Political User
#6
PseudoKiller said:
Image optimizer doesnt really exsist... what youre trying to do in mess with the compression in a jpeg image or gif image. In PS you can do this by clicking File and Save as ... in the File Type drop down selct JPEG and then type in what name you wish to call the file. From there another window will pop up where you can select the compression ratio and quality of the image. Understand that the ratio and quality are related. This also includes how large or what resolution your image is in.
Now another way to get a better file size is too crop the image or resize the image. Since it is for the web there is no reason to have a large image. As a guideline images (those in nav bars/buttons or logos etc) should be under 50k max. Another thing to consider is slicing an image into smaller parts and this can help load times but that is for a more advanced user. Try working with jpeg compression and see how much you can mess with the file size but understand you are also losing some quality. Check your image dimensions / resolutions (also pixels per inch) and you may just need to resize the image. Hope this helps and sorry its so wordy. :D
Well I knew that already :p

Maybe I didn't explain it that well in my first post. And wouldn't the File>Save for Web be a better solution to use anyways? I think so.

What I'm trying to say is, Photoshop isn't good enough for it! :S

Also, I'd like a program that's free if possible...
 
P

PseudoKiller

Guest
#8
o_87 said:
Well I knew that already :p

Maybe I didn't explain it that well in my first post. And wouldn't the File>Save for Web be a better solution to use anyways? I think so.

What I'm trying to say is, Photoshop isn't good enough for it! :S

Also, I'd like a program that's free if possible...
isnt good enough for it?? Photoshop isnt good enough... OMFG. I cant talk to you anymore. :p
 

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
61,961
Messages
673,239
Members
89,014
Latest member
sanoravies