[iBook] Fan grinding noise

X-Istence

Political Access
I am looking for a program to rev up the fan in my iBook, and have it run constantly, to see if that is the source of the "grinding" noise that occurs when the laptop reaches a temperature, which is uncomfortable to touch (on the bottom).

The grinding noise is not from the HD, and not from the DVD drive. I am thinking it is because of the heat, and it sounds a lot like a fan with something stuck in it (Hair, dust, and other such things).

I am contacting Apple ASAP, to see what they can do. To say the least, i am not happy with the sound.

oh dear, thats not good. Apple will no doubt know what is occuring, but looking around i cant see any app im afraid. Might be an idea not to push the fan any further tho, just incase you break something else when doing so :s Hope you get it sorted

If you suspect it's the HSF, did you try using a few blasts of compressed air on the vents? I use it a couple of times every month to keep things clean. It keeps the temperatures down too. Can't hurt to try. :)

i dont think speedfan has a osx version does it... only windows i believe

*bangs head on desk*

I'd go with a blast of compressed air too... which reminds me, mine's overdue for a quick going over :)

thekore said:
oh dear, thats not good. Apple will no doubt know what is occuring, but looking around i cant see any app im afraid. Might be an idea not to push the fan any further tho, just incase you break something else when doing so :s Hope you get it sorted

Well, when it is sitting on my desk, and i am not watching a DVD, the fan is always off, it is only when it gets really hot that it goes on, so ive never really noticed it before now that the hotter weather is coming along.

NetRyder said:
If you suspect it's the HSF, did you try using a few blasts of compressed air on the vents? I use it a couple of times every month to keep things clean. It keeps the temperatures down too. Can't hurt to try. :)

Will go out and buy some compressed air today, see if i can get it out. If not, i'll drop in by Apple's genius bar to see what they can do for me.

SPeedY_B said:
*bangs head on desk*

I'd go with a blast of compressed air too... which reminds me, mine's overdue for a quick going over :)

Will give it a try. My room is known to be a dust haven :p

got the compressed air, and so far it seems to have worked.

X-Istence said:
Nope, noise is back. From the same location.
I hope it's not gremlins. I also hope that if you take it in to Apple store they don't have to keep it forever.

Xie said:
I hope it's not gremlins. I also hope that if you take it in to Apple store they don't have to keep it forever.

Indeed.

What it sounds like is some sort of hair stuck between the ball bearing part of the fan. Ive had it happen in my server power supply, it made the same sort of noise as i am hearing now.

X-Istence said:
What it sounds like is some sort of hair stuck between the ball bearing part of the fan.
Well then, put down the lappy to shave from now on. :p

/me hides

Xie said:
Well then, put down the lappy to shave from now on. :p

/me hides

I can't be without a some way to communicate over the internet for more than 5 seconds, how can i shave in 5 seconds?

X-Istence said:
I can't be without a some way to communicate over the internet for more than 5 seconds, how can i shave in 5 seconds?
umm.. type right hand, shave with left? :rolleyes:

X-Istence said:
Got this nasty cut last time i did that :p
Yeah but whats more important, your face or the INTERNET!? :p

the only time I have really heard my ibooks fan was when the logic board failed, I have heard it once or twice since then but only very low speed nothing like when the logic board failed, you could really hear it then. Think original GeForce FX. Its a damn good thing it doesnt usually get that loud, though its nice to know it can :p

X-Istence, you tryed thrashing the CPU with something to make it hot?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back